The Leisure Painter in 1972

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
I went to a book sale a few weeks ago and was surprised to find a pristine copy of Leisure Painter for December 1972. It's interesting to compare it with modern art magazines. It cost 20p in 1972, it's half the size of the current leisure painter and it has only 44 pages. There's only seven articles, which are generally written in a rather formal style - for example, one article, written by a Teresa O'Riordan has a black and white photo of her painting with the caption "Mrs O'Riordan at work at home". Another article would be of limited use to many readers "Places to paint - the West Midlands" There's plenty of photographs of contributors' work, of which probably about half are in colour. There's no mention of acrylics, as I don't think they were in common use among leisure painter then. There's 6 pages of adverts, including a 10p voucher for part payment of a tube of Reeves oil paint! None of the adverts include photographs. My overall impression is that in comparison with modern magazines, it's worthy but rather uninspiring. But it only reflects the style of instructional books printed around that time, such as those by, say Adrian Hill. The cost of colour printing was high, there wasn't a big range of artists materials to write about and probably there weren't as many leisure painters.