Which do you prefer?

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 2 of 2
I prefer the Un-cropped one... I like a bit of negative space.. Creates more interest...
Sorry, I much prefer the cropped one. For the same reasons as others have given.
Ha ha, I love it! We’ll all never agree!
And wouldn't it be a dull world if we all did agree!
👍🏻
Uncropped for me Marjorie! As Eric mentions above, the negative space frames the work perfectly.
I think the truth might be - we like both of them! There's only one thing to do, Marjorie: paint another one - so you've got a cropped for the croppees, and an uncropped for the rest. It wouldn't be the first time I've tried to paint a copy of a painting, with a bit left out, or a bit put in: my problem has always been that I'm not a great copyist, especially of myself.  Still, it can be done, and it can be fun: which, you will observe, threatens to be poetry...  well, doggerel anyway.  
I think both are great... I still prefer the uncropped one a little more, because the eye is always going to travel around an entire work anyway.. It looks more interesting to me....
Both nice but the uncropped is easier on the eye.
Well folks, thanks very much for your views - and your poetry! It’ll probably , well, pretty well certainly, stay in the pastel pad but it’s a case in point that we never have the definitive answer. Keeps the old brain ticking over….
I prefer the cropped version. For me, the baskets are a distraction. As Robert says, the cropped version takes one right into the picture. Whichever one prefers it is a loveley painting.
Thank you Thomas.
Showing page 2 of 2