Roses

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Hi all im new to oil paints these are from my garden, I'm really pleased with them, what could I have done better
You went a bit mad with the rain spots - they're well done, but you need to rein in your enthusiasm a bit:  if the rain spots are starting to obscure the roses, you've overdone it. I know it's fun once you start, though!  It's just that learning when to stop is important: and that'll come to you. That aside, very creditable early attempt with oil paint, and what's important is that your basic drawing is good. 
Ken this is beautifully painted and the roses are a delight. BUT I agree with Robert you have over done your  rain shower  into a deluge .... I would be very tempted to paint over  99 %  of them ..
There are definitely too many rain droplets I totally agree! I would (for future projects), start with a different colour ground! Drop the black, it’s a dead colour when used straight from the tube, which it looks as though it is… There’s many ways to mix your own black which would be better, but personally I’d drop it altogether and find a more softer colour!
Good point about the black, perhaps a good moment to mention black canvases with oil paint: I don't know if your canvas was black, many are; or if you painted your roses onto a black background.  The snag with doing this lies in the longer term - oil paint becomes gradually more transparent as it ages - colours painted onto black substrates will therefore tend to darken in time.  Black canvases are a bit of a fashion, and one which is not good with oils.  Plus, yes - a mixed black, say Ultramarine and Burnt Sienna, or Viridian/Pthalo Green plus a red, will have more life in it than a tube black can offer; there are many ways of mixing black - basically mix three primaries together, obviously without any white in the mix; if you want a range of subtle greys, then a little white will help to achieve it: hours of fun to be had experimenting with this!

Edited
by Robert Jones, NAPA

I so agree re the dreaded black....I like to paint flowers on a dark background and mix together blues , purples , browns and reds... I just mix away until I feel it's right. Painted these a couple of years ago..  Dark but not stark

Edited
by Sylvia Evans

These are lovely Sylvia. Have to say that I agree about mixing blacks rather than tube black. Have used the two Robert suggested.