I'm going to post this here...

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Because although it's a WIP, this section hasn't had a post for a little while, and I don't want to push Barri's latest excellent drawing off the front page of the WIP section.   You can, by all means, critique it if you'd like to, though there isn't much there at the moment to critique at all. This is an acrylic painting of a private little place known to me, and will form a tryptich of sorts (I can't spell tryptic: inspired guesswork) in three media: of the ones I've shown before, one is an oil, the other a watercolour, this will be an acrylic - representing Winter, Autumn, and this one will be Spring.  This is just the underpainting, and I wanted a record of it, so here we be: also - I rather like it as it is, though so far it's just a mix of charcoal, Burnt Umber, and Black. 
I haven’t been on for a few days, so have just been browsing through several categories for anything I’ve missed. I haven’t painted anything for ages…. (Except the decorating kind of painting… 20 hours of it last weekend, plus chopping down a tree). Your underpainting has an atmosphere already (though not so much a spring one!)…  I always find the start of a painting the hardest and least enjoyable bit.

Edited
by Helen Martell

Oh, I love the first steps - it's the finishing-off ones that I find somewhat alarming - because I tighten up, and now and then that's caused me to spoil what could have been a fresh image.  I need someone sitting next to me to say "STOP now!": but would I listen? 
I must say that starting a painting for me is the best part… I love stages one and two, I’m usually on autopilot but after that it’s thinking time and possible stress! Well I’m exaggerating a bit here! And yes, the old problem of when to stop! I am getting better lately at not fiddling too much! Good start Robert, keep it going…
A good start Robert , I looking forward to seeing it develop. I’m with Alan on the painting stages I love the start and working through each stage it when it getting to the end that the stress sets in and start to dislike bit I’m doing. I have to be quite strict about not fiddling with a painting or I will just keep dabbling with it. 
A great start Robert. Like the tones already, very nice. Looking forward to watching it develop.
Oh, I love the first steps - it's the finishing-off ones that I find somewhat alarming
Robert Jones, NAPA on 30/05/2023 17:16:00
I don’t mind the in between stages…. Slapping some under-colours on and hoping that I don’t go tooooooo neat with the later stages! (Always happens though…) Just the initial sketching out and base layer I’m not a fan of…. Has to be done though.
It's always interesting to see work in progress.  The paintings in oil more so, because they can change so much.  Here we have mostly browns and neutral colours, it may well finish in lush greens...something that painters in watercolour can't do.  A good start and, like the others, I shall watch with interest.