Had originally planned to add colour

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Set off on an experimental series, planning to produce interesting doorways, but only adding colour to one element within the scene (expecting it to usually be the doors themselves, but I'll see how each one goes). Started with this one. Probably the wrong one to start with, because of my dilemma...Really hesitant to add colour, so I'm looking for some second opinions please.  The wood, that fills the ironwork of the doors, is old, bleached, untreated and therefore understated, in terms of colour.... so to add their true colour may not actually add anything to this artwork, and I am very resistant to 'invent' colour that isn't there (as it will feel inappropriate and incongruous). I toyed with brickwork colour as the coloured element, and even vegetation, but nothing other than the doors would feel right. So perhaps I've answered my own question, and I should move on to the next, but I know some of us enjoy artistic conundrums like this so thought I'd share. Thanks folks (PS artwork is 8x6. Also is a smaller reworking of a previous piece some of you may have seen (and forgive the lighting, not the best of photographs of it))
Nice drawing… the only place for a touch of muted neutral tone is on the stonework surrounding the two doors! Leave the upper window surrounds though, or it could take the eye upwards which you don’t want!
Lovely drawing.
I wouldn't add colour to this, because it doesn't need it.  I'm sure you'd do it well if you did it, but when you've got something right, it's best left to speak for itself.  
Thank you Alan, Denise and Robert. I'm tempted to pause this one for now, do more of my series, see how they turn out (with coloured doors), and potentially revisit this one. Thank you all for your thoughts.
Gerry - it is a lovely drawing . Why not photocopy the drawing, add colour  to the copies  in whatever areas you see fit and then decide which one you like before committing on the original.  Or import into an iPad and play with digital enhancement using Brushes or similar.  I've done this on a few occasions. 
Thanks Andrew. I had a quick digital play...and, from the options I roughed-in, I haven't convinced myself that it looked good enough to actually commit, so I'm pausing this whilst I do others. Thanks for the input. PS Alan was right, colour on the surrounds was my 'favoured' option