Bluebell woods

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Really not sure about this painting, my feeling is that it it is overworked and a bit muddy. Suggestions on what can be done better gratefully received. Thanks 
When we overwork something, it's generally a sign that we've identified that there is an issue, aren't quite sure what it is, and start making an attempt to address it: but as we don't know what it is, we keep on and on - and make things worse. I suspect that happened here: you were aware something wasn't working, but didn't really know what.  And by the way - every single one of us, at one time or another, has had exactly the same experience.  Taking this painting from where we are, rather than where you wanted it to be at the start, the shadows are too watery, and they don't recede - ie the farther shadows are the same tone as, if not a bit stronger than, the ones nearest to us. It might help if you would introduce a really strong shadow in the foreground - mixing perhaps ultramarine and burnt sienna, to give it a bit of colour (and not an umber, or Payne's grey), and indicate a bit of different colour in the trees, lifting some of that heavy brown out to indicate light coming through: you have done that to some extent - it's easy to see the direction of light - but a bit more would help, introducing a bit of green, red, blue into the tree mixes in the darker areas as well. Finally, before you patience with me runs out and you attack me with the wrong end of a paint-brush, all your texture is in the foreground - it's true that you wouldn't want the same texture throughout the painting, but there's too sharp a division between the foreground spatter and the texture beneath/around the main trees in the composition - maybe a finer spatter there, with a mix of light and darker violet blues. And after all that - you've got the bluebell colour right!  Bluebells are not, as you have observed, pure blue - they might be a little bluer than yours, but painting them in a bright blue is a mistake you've avoided. 
Lots of good observations from Robert.   Your bluebell colour is lovely  also the splat is great but could be used in  other areas...sparingly.   I find those trees a bit in your face and  heavy.    Bluebells often grow in beech and birch woodland also they flower well before the leaves are thick.   as they like light.  The best way to paint bluebells is to sit in the middle of a wood and look around you. I did ,and ended up with a massive hayfever attack  so take care.
Robert, thank you, your comments have been invaluable and everything you have pointed out I can now see. I'm trying to learn in isolation and having someone make constructive comments is something I'm really lacking.  Also reassured that there were at least a few bits that I managed to get right.  Sylvia thank you too! I managed to avoid the hayfever attack... The painting is based on my local woods and I walk through there regularly. I used some photos that I'd taken as reference.  Really pleased that my bluebell colour is good, had to do that bit from memory as photos don't usually record bluebell colour accurately. 
Well Julie, you’re right about it going muddy, that’s an easy fix… it’s usually down to mixing too many colours together, dirty water, and a few other factors. Too late now to salvage this piece unfortunately, but learning from your mistakes is a lesson in itself! Those distant trees would look better in a single dark colour, almost silhouette, no detail at that distance. That’s a minor point and just my observation. I like the splatter, it looks fine to me - have another shot at it, take your time and perhaps work in layers, letting each layer dry before proceeding with the next etc.  If I were painting this scene, I’d start off with my darkest areas, definitely the tree trunks in this case, and work out from there. Finally, those distant greens could be a bit darker, quite a bit actually! Good job though generally, you aren’t far away so keep at it!

Edited
by Alan Bickley