Another bluebell wood

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Another bluebell wood this time in pastel.  Hahnemuhle ingres 100gsm paper with Royal Talens Rembrandt pastels and Conte. Approx 29cm x22cm  I have already come to the conclusion that I need a somewhat more robust surface as the paper quickly became clogged and made it difficult to build up the layers. I am rather heavy handed.  Also difficulty achieving 'bluebell' colours as I have a limited amount of pastels and none in a blue violet range so had to try to blend thus adding to the problem. Very similar problem with the greens; found it very difficult to get that bright verdant spring foliage.  I struggled with the shadows and thinking perhaps I need to place them at a much earlier stage.  All thoughts, observations, suggestions, recommendations and comments all welcome and appreciated! Thank you.  p.s. I don't think the photo does it justice either, and makes it look over saturated and dark.

Edited
by Julie Canwell

Julie you have made me laugh ,sorry .  I looked at your painting before I read your note, all of the stuff you have described went through my head. It is actually a nice attempt, and yes your bluebells are the wrong blue....though you are getting there.  I like the foliage I might have added a pail lemon amongst the leaves.  I also think you are brave using pastel on such an intense subject.  I've done them in acrylic ,watercolour and polluted pencil, they are such a beautiful subject and they get to me every spring.    Have another go in another medium.   They are so worthwhile.
What are you using to make your shadows?  You wouldn't be alone in finding darks a bit difficult to achieve with pastels, and to have recourse to charcoal, conté crayon or carbon pencil.  But I do suggest you establish the shadows early, with mixes of colours (red-brown plus cool blue, or ultramarine; red and green; umber and perhaps a bit of black pastel, but not much); you can always fix the colour, then work over it to strengthen the shadow areas.  I rarely use pastels, though, so hope someone else who does will come forward...  you have chosen a blinking difficult subject, but then, that's the challenge. See if you can find Arnold Lowrey's pastel demos online - or Jackie Simmonds' work.