3 oil paintings I made

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
criticism is welcome, but I also would like to know your feelings about these works. Do they speak to you, in any way, negative or positive?

Edited
by john randy

Hi  John I particularly like the middle one to me it’s the best composed and painted of the three . I don't paint in oils so will not make any critique or offer advice other than to say do more like the centre painting but them I’m a bit of a traditionalist. 
Hi  John I particularly like the middle one to me it’s the best composed and painted of the three . I don't paint in oils so will not make any critique or offer advice other than to say do more like the centre painting but them I’m a bit of a traditionalist. 
Paul  (Dixie) Dean on 22/02/2024 16:53:01
I see what you mean. the middle one was the first oil painting I made. My second painting was the one below, where I started to use the knife. The last one was the one above, where I exclusively used the knife. Color is all I know. I don't know about technique, I don't add medium or terpentine to my oils. I take 2 - 2,5 hours on a painting max. No underpainting. I just whack it on the canvas and see how it goes; letting the colors do the work and be my guide as I go
They are colourful paintings, I like the middle one most with the strong impasto. The style is rather like the Fauves or Van Gogh.
They are colourful paintings, I like the middle one most with the strong impasto. The style is rather like the Fauves or Van Gogh.
Keith Orange on 22/02/2024 19:10:18
yeah, van gogh is one of my inspirations. Primary colors. Paint like a child.  Strong color is the style I aspire. The difficult part is shaking off the inspirator, and find my own style. I guess my style and effect is, a "rain of colors". It's like the colors are raining down from the sky. And in the process, mix unlikely color combinations, like orange in a blue sky. that's basically what I aim to achieve. For my last painting (most above), I ended up with all colors and no contrast, so I figured, I'll add brown with the knife, and I'm happy with the result. I'll be adding more dark brown in my next paintings, it makes the painting come alive I think.
They're vigorous, the middle one the most accomplished: the composition is better than the other two.   Setting yourself a time limit can be a good idea - it's easy to become too immersed, keep painting away at the same piece- "fiddling" basically, trying to get it right and in the process wandering ever farther away from what you first wanted to achieve.  Not a problem that you don't use medium or Turpentine, especially if you're using a painting knife.  The only advice I'd have is - keep on doing what you're doing: the more the better, practise, if you varnish them - don't do it too soon, thicker paint needs around 8 months of drying ("curing") time. One thing about your major inspiration, though - van Gogh didn't just throw the paint down on the canvas: it may have looked as if he had a free and easy style, but in reality every brush stroke was carefully considered - he was radical in his choice of bright colours, and in his brush-work (I could be wrong, but I don't think he often used a knife) but he sculpted and shaped his paint in the second half of his painting career, and in his earlier years you can see him learning his craft.  It's very helpful to learn these techniques, and to study drawing - all the best painters do, wherever they go and grow over the course of their lives. 
They're vigorous, the middle one the most accomplished: the composition is better than the other two.   Setting yourself a time limit can be a good idea - it's easy to become too immersed, keep painting away at the same piece- "fiddling" basically, trying to get it right and in the process wandering ever farther away from what you first wanted to achieve.  Not a problem that you don't use medium or Turpentine, especially if you're using a painting knife.  The only advice I'd have is - keep on doing what you're doing: the more the better, practise, if you varnish them - don't do it too soon, thicker paint needs around 8 months of drying ("curing") time. One thing about your major inspiration, though - van Gogh didn't just throw the paint down on the canvas: it may have looked as if he had a free and easy style, but in reality every brush stroke was carefully considered - he was radical in his choice of bright colours, and in his brush-work (I could be wrong, but I don't think he often used a knife) but he sculpted and shaped his paint in the second half of his painting career, and in his earlier years you can see him learning his craft.  It's very helpful to learn these techniques, and to study drawing - all the best painters do, wherever they go and grow over the course of their lives. 
Robert Jones, NAPA on 22/02/2024 20:30:06
thank you, for these great words of advice
It might be beneficial to take a step back and learn about the basic elements that go into constructing a good composition and the importance of drawing. A very useful book which I recommend to all relative newcomers to oil painting, or in fact to the more experienced painter, is called ‘Vibrant Oils’ by Haidee-Jo Summers. It covers everything about oil painting and you’ll find it invaluable. Most of us on here have bought it, myself and Robert included.
No ,sorry they don't speak to me in anyway.  You can obviously like Van Gogh.   But why just " whack"it on Van Gogh didn't  you can see his observational skills and his skill and thought process.