Wilting Flowers Block in

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 1 of 2
I got these flowers 2 weeks ago to do a painting. Only just got round to starting for various reasons so instead of happy, full bloom flowers, here's the first block-in layer of Wilting Flowers in a vase. :-) I just hope they last to finish the painting...
I really like this ‘drawing’ stage of your painting Gary, very good. Your flowers are doing well if you’ve had them two weeks already!
Thanks Tessa, Yes, I went to my studio room with a plan to put them in the garden recycling and decided actually I quite like them as they are and decided to keep them and get a painting in. I've taken a photo in case they don't last. They were from the local Spar too (with a display until 18th April)!
Gary, I had three lots of flowers for my birthday on 17 April. The expensive ones are long gone, but the others were from Asda are still hanging on!  Happy painting. I watch with interest. 👍🏻
Yes, I am finding the supermarkets a good place to get bargain flowers from for these still lifes. Happy belated birthday to you 🥳
Thanks Gary! 
A great set up Gary and I like the added objects. Looking good so far.
Thanks Denise.  It's been a long day working on massing in the basic colours today (what some call the dead colour layer). I'm hoping to keep the loose, gestural quality when I work on the next layer. Usually, the more layers I do, the tighter and less interesting it becomes!
This is lovely, Gary. I also like the way you have lit your subject and the shadows it has created. 
Thanks Carol. Sometimes it feels like I spend longer altering the still life and trying out lighting than actually painting 🤣
Finally working on the next layer. This is larger than I usually work and it's interesting to find that in the mornings I'm finding it quite a daunting prospect to start work on it. Once I actually begin everything starts getting in the groove though.
Looks really good Gary, will be interested to see how it develops from here. I like the idea of using flowers that are past their best, too.
Showing page 1 of 2