Inspiration From Artists Wk 107 Featuring Artists : Claude Muncaster and Piet Mondrian .

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 2 of 3
Always an interesting artist, and one of a relatively small number of abstract painters whose work I enjoy every time I see it.  Not so keen on seeing it employhed on dresses and scatter-cushions, though. 
Thank you Jenny for your excellent introduction to this artist , his work is amazing unusual for me I even like his abstract work. I epwill have a look at his work online later . 
Some of his early work and a few of his later paintings .
Although it is not evident in all his early works, I get a strong sense of 'line' that gradually grows before finally taking over at the expense of representation.  I have picked out this landscape, mainly because the colours and the subject reminded me a little of Cézanne.
Strangely for someone who tends to like abstract art over representational art, Mondrian's stuff has always left me cold, and I don't see much variety once he'd found his 'stijl' in the early 20s. However, I'd make an exception for his last work, 1943's Broadway Boogie-Woogie, posted earlier.
I suspect  his work is liked by those who don't normally like abstraction; but not so much by those who do. A rather bold conclusion to come to on this limited date-set, but "bold" is one's middle name.  There was a rather distinct line from figurative  through to abstract - I don't know if that has any significance.  Of his abstracts, there are only one or two that really appeal to me, and I prefer the figurative work.
Thanks Jenny for the intro. I like his more traditional work, and the still life with apples in particular is superb. However his abstract paintings do nothing at all for me. 
I like his earlier work and the beginning of his abstract development but not really the end product, his linear work.

Edited
by Marjorie Firth

I also really liked his still life with apples… I’ll leave it there for now!
Such a variety of work and very interesting.
I really like the penultimate one on this page - the misty, moody woods with the dark building beyond.  Of the abstracts, the more linear the better for me; I like the clarity of his colour.  I've always found him interesting: that's why this is my third post on him!
Showing page 2 of 3