Inspiration from Artists Week 82 Bonus Artist George Hyde Powell.

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Welcome to this weekend’s bonus artist thread , the artist featured this weekend is  George Hyde Pownell 1866-1939.  Born in Nottinghamshire he was a English artist known for his depiction of London street scenes. He later emigrated to Australia where he painted the expanding City of Melbourne. He was a noted musician in England and continued his musical career in Australia. Further information about him can be found on Wikipedia. I hope you enjoy my selection of his artwork. 

Edited
by Paul (Dixie) Dean

Ooh!  (Technical term for: I like very much)
You see so many 'modern' paintings depicting busy streets, tall buildings and traffic with reflections of headlights and tail lights on the wet tarmac etc, its refreshing to see a similar theme from a bygone age. The first half dozen or so are  brilliantly painted and so atmospheric.
Very atmospheric paintings especially the first few of London with fog, smog and gas lamps, certainly a memory of those times. Not so keen on the last three daylight views though they are obviously well painted but they lack that something special in the previous ones. 
The last ones I think are in Melbourne , very different light etc,m I would think back then it was less built up and difficult to get the atmosphere of a old city like London . 
Makes sense! I will look him up later.
I too prefer his atmospheric London scenes, especially the one of Tower Bridge.  Had a look at some of his work online and was surprised how small some of his paintings are - a lot are listed as oil on panel 6” x 9”.
The Tower Bridge is exceptional… a talented artist, although I’m not overly keen on his evening scenes, with the lit up buildings!
Another one here in praise of the Tower Bridge painting - it's just a lovely thing.   I see the reservations people are expressing about some of the others, and I suppose I share them - but take a look at his dates; well, plainly he didn't die in 1039: that's Dixie, hitting the wrong key....   But born in 1866, and painting, on the whole, some very small pictures - this is unusual for a painter of that generation, and makes him more original than one might otherwise suppose.  I like his fresh colour - so many Victorian/Edwardian artists painted rather dark, muddy pictures (though many didn't: e.g. though Atkinson Grimshaw painted a lot of dark, crepuscular pictures, they certainly weren't muddy - but permit me to generalize!) - his paintings are light, and his colours clean.  
Thanks Robert I certainly had missed the 9 button there. I join you all in the Tower Bridge appreciation group certainly had a great atmosphere about it.