Inspiration From Artist Week 111 Featuring Artist : Paul Cezanne and Ben Taffinder

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 2 of 3
Just lovely.
A painter whose name you'd know if I were indelicate to tell you it complained - or carped, anyway - when I showed him an illustration in R O Dunlop's book on oil painting, contrasting a photograph of a wintry scene with Cézanne's painting of it; Dunlop admired the way Cézanne had cut out so much of the confusing detail, and simplified the image.  Our painter - that'll be Mr X - said he'd much prefer the painting with all the detail in it.   You can see why I won't tell you his name.  Entitled to his opinion, but.... well, that was just daft.  I'm entirely with Sylvia in her view of Cézanne - he's an artist whose work makes me feel better (no small trick when you're getting older and your arthritis has come out to play).  His colour - and how well it's held up over the years, certainly by comparison with Van Gogh's (he could afford better paint than poor old Vincent) - is so clean, subtle, and at the same time strong.  
I’m jumping the starter gun and posting early as I will be out most of the day . Ben Taffinder was born in Cirencester in 1981 , and has lived on the Roseland Peninsula in Cornwall since he was fourteen years old. Ben studied Fine Art at Falmouth College, he took up full time painting in 2010 , he paints in oils mostly using a knife . Ben paints outdoor directly from life within the landscape he feels a part of. He is constantly drawn to the sea which has been such a huge influence on his life and work. Bio information was from The Harbour Gallery website. I hope you enjoy my selection of his work.
What a discovery - painting with the knife is very satisfying, very effective, and VERY expensive.  Some make the mistake of thinking that it's easy, by comparison with the finesse needed with brushes: take my word for it that it really isn't.  
What a super artist. I envy anyone who can paint with palette knives. I had a look at his website earlier in the week when Paul posted the two names for the week.  Two colourful artists this week. I like. 
I take it that you like his work Robert ?.  I have to say I’m very taken with his paintings particularly the last one , I’ve never used oils and can only imagine the skill needed to get such beautiful paintings. To have such talent and skill would be wonderful to say the least ,  we mere mortals must just plod on. 
Like Helen, I had a look at his website earlier in the week and really like his work - a very appealing technique and attractive colours.  Of those Paul has posted, I like the last two the best.

Edited
by Jenny Harris

So ego  smackinly fabulous paintings, very much in my top list of artists. 
Well that does it if he is good enough for Helen, Jenny and our Sylvia then he is certainly good enough for anyone, Can’t get a better recommendation than that  . 
Another super artist, Sylvia’s description says it all! Like Jenny I especially like the last two the most. His work makes me want to get my palette knife out.  
I particularly like the moored boat, or is it a canal barge with the ropes in perspective, but I’m not overly keen on many of his landscapes. Frankly, I’m more of a brushes man, I like brush marks in a painting…  I do like to see a mix of mainly brush with some knife marks however! Why struggle to paint a seagull with a knife, when a brush is quicker and easier! It does take a good degree of skill and I can appreciate that element! I’ve seen lots of his work, mainly because of his representation with the gallery Paul mentioned, Harbour Gallery I believe it was, I get a monthly newsletter from them, and his work is obviously very popular!
Showing page 2 of 3