NEW - FULL BOARD RESIDENTIAL NARROWBOAT ART TUITION WEEKENDS!!

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 2 of 2
Having been out of things for a while I recently returned to Painters Online only to find a good deal of my own previously expressed opinions about Edward Wesson. I struggled to make any headway with those in charge of Leisure Painter/Artist in spite of several cogent E-Mails. I like others could see no barrier in reproducing Ted's articles from either magazine including pictures. Having been on several of Steve Hall's Courses in which this was discussed he ( acknowledged as 'the' Wesson expert) could'nt either. I am left with the conclusion that they simply could'nt be bothered..... On the positive side the Robert Newcombe article was good, I hope for more in future. Perhaps we should brand together and Demonstrate outside the Offices of LP !!
I have posted before on the subject of Edward Wesson when I was trying to accumulate his “Artist” and “Leisure Painter” articles. I exhausted all avenues in trying to get copies from the publishers, V&A Library, British Museum and other institutions who keep magazines as part of their library. In the end had to resort to eBay and trying to buy specific magazines from UK sellers who usually list UK only was problem as, not only did I have to ascertain that a Wesson article was in specific issue, but had to get the seller to change the listing so that I, as an Australian, could bid. I had collected all the 6 books on Wesson including his auto biography “My Corner of the Field” and it took me almost two years to collect the 18 “Artist's” and the 13 “Leisure Painter's”.I also have a couple of books on his posters for British Rail and National Savings. Apart from a couple of articles on oils and one on readers critique his articles are possibly more interesting than the books and gives an insight into his techniques and methods for specific paintings. Ted was the first person to use the “polishers mop” which he originally purchased from France and later used the artist supplier Herrings (of Versatile Easel fame) to get them for him. Purchasing mops sight unseen is fraught with problems as no two companies use the same numbering system. An article on mops I recently wrote for Peter Ward's blog “ Watercolour Fanatic” Lists all the different manufacturers sizes as well as general comments on mops in general. I now have no option than to purchase any future book on Wesson but for now I am awaiting the new James Russell book on Edward Seago which, from all accounts, is the best Seago book ever. Seago didn't write for magazines but Jack Merriott and Frank Sherwin both wrote for “Artist” and “Leisure Painter” and their articles are worth searching for. Cheers Tred
Showing page 2 of 2