Painting

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Had a phone call this morning and was asked if it was a convenient time to ask a few questions. Well it wasn't - I said I was busy painting. The response? Yes my house is in need of some of some attention and must get down to it. Well my house isn't in need of TLC and I was in the studio so the caller got a bit of a mouthful.. Felt bad after I put the phone down. But on the serious side: wouldn't it be great if we had a word unique to us artists to describe our hobby/occupation. Or does anyone know of one?
Yes Micheal, it would. Your anecdote is something we've all shared at some time. I know I have. I don't know a suitable word.. Something along the lines of 'prestidigitation' works for me...'conjuring tricks performed as entertainment.' Almost there. Sometimes painting feels like a conjuring trick. Let's hope someone comes up with something.
Gardeners do gardening, knitters do knitting so, perhaps, artists do arting. I'm in the studio arting - sounds okay to me.
Sounds too much like "farting", Michael. How about the simple "sketching"?
Come to think of it, when asked what I'm doing these days, I say 'drawing'...as opposed to 'painting'. Pretty much for the reason Micheal opened this thread with. In my case it fits, because my color work is more like drawing with paint anyway. Wouldn't suit everybody. Lew.
I usually say I'm doing a painting or I'm painting a picture
If I'm in the process of a flat-wash, the phone, landline or mobile can ring away.

This post has been removed as it violates our forum rules and guidelines.

This post has been removed as it violates our forum rules and guidelines.

On me thinks another for deleting as it has a link to a sales site.