Pencil Sketch or Paint sketch?

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Hi all, As I'm new to this oil painting melarky, I'm going to have a go at my first painting at the weekend. But I was wondering on my canvas board do I pencil sketch or paint sketch to get the foundations on the canvas? Many thanks Ian
Whatever you are more comfortable with Ian. There are no rules in oil painting so it’s your call. I prefer to dive straight in with a weak mix of say burnt sienna on a brush to get my main structure and tones in place. But that takes confidence which only comes with experience, so a thin stick of charcoal or a soft pencil may be a good starting point for you. It’s not a good idea to go into too much detail in the initial drawing out stages, otherwise you could find yourself carefully painting in the areas much like a ‘Paint by numbers’ job! It’s there as a guide and will eventually be covered over. br /> You may find my WIP feature useful, it’s in the PaintersOnline e-newsletter which will be out on Thursday. You do need to register to be able to receive it, it’s on the website and free. You will see how I develop an oil painting through the stages, you may find a few helpful tips in there.

Edited
by alanbickley

Agree with the points made thus far. Particularly the 'painting by numbers' point - it's not that easy to remain completely faithful to a pencil drawing as the basis for oil paint, because as soon as you start to use thicker paint, you obscure the lines and boundaries: so what do people do? They tend to thin their paint down to a watery consistency, in order to reinstate their drawing's contours, and nibble away at the painting - the very thought of that makes me recoil, because where on earth is the pleasure in mimsy-wimsily stroking on layers of paint and rubbing back the bits that spread over your lines? Draw with the brush,I suggest - use shapes, not lines. This is why charcoal is to be preferred to pencil, on the whole - it's not easy to be precise with a stick of willow charcoal, and that's its advantage.
That's worth signing up for, Alan. I look forward to seeing that. Ian before you decide your method of work do a search and find some techniques for open grisaille and closed grisaille, pronounced: gris-eye - these are methods of underpaintings and could be of immense value as you progress through your adventure into oil painting. I started painting in oils a few months ago, now, I'm going right back to basics and doing some practice work only using the above method until I fully grasp the concept, I'll be starting with simple shapes such as a ball or and egg, the lighting is everything to present a good underpainting for a dramatic effect. All the best with the painting.

Edited
by carol

Just signed up for the news letter, how long will it take to come through?
Thank you for your prompt replies Tessa, Alan and Dawn. I'll send the mail tonight, many thanks. Not something I'd want to miss, Alan as you have been so very helpful when I asked for help and advice when starting out with oils. Both yourself and Robert.
I sent the request for the eletter, late afternoon. Hoping it will arrive today. Thanks, Dawn. Your method obviously works, Alan, we only have to look at your work. You are right, there is no right or wrong way, when learning how to handle a new medium, it all helps. Keep it simple, quite right, so easy to get bogged down with differing techniques which leads to a lack of freshness in the work and the lack of inspiration.
Firstly, many thanks, Dawn, I never expected to have such a collection of 'news letters' I'm delighted. I've had a quick look through, good to see two articles by Alan, and also one by Penny Brown, on Botanical drawing ( I purchased her book a few weeks ago, inspirational) I'll have a good read through after work this evening. When I started oils, Tessa, Alan suggested 'Variation on a Theme by, Ken Howard, then, 'Vibrant Oils, Haidee-Jo Summers, book and dvd, both excellent for the beginner and more advanced. I do agree with your teacher about squinting, I had a bit of time this morning and deliberately went without my glasses to sketch a blackberry flower and an emerging blackberry, doing just an outline of what I could see and the shadows, I must do this more often, it is indeed a fresh effect. You have had sound. I can't wait to get started, Alan, many thanks for your help and advice. I have a huge canvas I've had for many years, I was going to take to the local art group, but now, well, I just know I'm going to put it to good use after reading your articles :) I do like using the oils, but I'll never give up the watercolours.

Edited
by carol

Hi Ian, I hope your painting is coming on well. Late reply but for future info - I start with a pencil drawing on my canvas or board but I seal the drawing in place with a light acrylic gesso layer to prevent the pencil from tainting the oils as they’re applied. Hope this is helpful. Zoe