Does anybody have any experience with Golden acrylics?

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Reading the advert I got interested in Golden heavy body, Golden fluid, and Golden open. Are they as good as promised?
They are said to be top of the range - Golden also make Williamsburg oil paints (which you may or may not have wanted to know.....). Most acrylic paints - and there are many brands, and many kinds - are pretty good. Golden, being imported from the USA, are probably rather more expensive than some. It's what one does with them that counts, of course, but I've been happiest with Winsor and Newton, Cryla (from Daler-Rowney), and Chromacolour (from Chromacolour UK). So much depends on what use you want to make of them that it's hard to say 'this brand is best' - I don't have enough tubes of Golden Acrylic to answer your question any more fully; the ones I've got are heavily pigmented, which is always good, but that's about all I can say. Other users of Golden Acrylics please come forward...
You'd probably want the thicker version - the heavy bodied - to enable better blending. 'Open' acrylics are said to be the answer - but I don't know that they are, and don't use them.
That was a bit abrupt, wasn't it? Sounds as if I disapprove of them, which I really can't, never having tried them. But they are trying to do something I have never felt a need to do, which is extend the drying time of acrylics: I don't need to do that, because if I want a longer drying time I have oil paint; and if that dries too slowly, I can use alkyds. I can blend regular acrylics to my satisfaction, by using a bit more water, medium, or retarder. But - does anyone on here use 'Open' acrylics? It would be very useful to get an opinion from you, if you do. Perhaps if I make a controversial statement it'll provoke comment! I don't think we need 'open' acrylics, any more than we need water-miscible oils, because both are trying to answer problems which don't really need to exist at all. Come on then - how can you resist that?