Derwent graphitint

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Thought I'd show the colours for anyone interested David
Now why that is upside down i have no idea. Sorry
I've tried to correct the upside down image by all the means I could think of, and have to admit failure, total and complete. Whatever I do, it still comes up the wrong way. So - never admitting defeat - I'm going to try adding David's chart as an attachment.
Thanks Robert Well I've done one picture with the graphitint but it was most unsatisfying and unsatisfactory. I'm in two minds to sell them on... For me they have too much graphite in them (I ask yiu, how was I to know??🤔🤔) so look dirty. I guessing you're a pencil artist they might be superb but I've never enjoyed graphite. I think I have to admit that I am a watercolour chap through and through. David
David - I don't think there's anything wrong with sticking to the media you know; I don't think there's a lot of virtue in trying to excel in everything. I paint in acrylic, oil, and watercolour, in that order. Of course I sketch, with all sorts of things - whatever comes to hand, basically. But I don't try to sell (well - I don't try to sell much of anything these days!) pastels, or pen and ink, graphite, charcoal, coloured pencil. I use them all, and more, but the core business, as it were, is those first three media. Having said which - I've sold pencil drawings, and my nephew fancied something in pen and ink, so that's what he's got. The day may dawn when you find your graphitint pencils just the thing you need for a sketch - on the basis therefore that you can never have too many art materials, I'd hang on to them. I can see several possibilities, looking at your chart, for one of my more dusky pictures; I think I could do something with them for an architectural subject. Every now and then, the medium itself will suggest a subject to you. So - don't worry if you're not getting great results first time off, we have to learn with each new medium we try - just don't forswear your watercolours as your staple means of expression, take any pressure off yourself to succeed in a new medium, but have a dabble now and then - them's my thoughts!
And Good thoughts they are Robert. You're right on course, my picture is poor because ive used the graphitint pencils for the wrong job. I felt that as soon as I started out pushednon anyway. It wasnt a bad result, just glaringly wrong. You know the feeling. The pencils do have a wonderful colour, so another day, another sheet of paper and another sub ject...
I bought a tin of graphitint pencils when the came on the market. I didn't like them because of the restricted range of colours, and the graphite makes the colours look dirty. Derwent make lots of good products, although in my view graphitint isn't one of them.