What motivates you.

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Last year for the first time I ran three work shops in basic watercolor painting. The first two were for fellow National Trust volunteers the third we ran to see if we could us it as a fund raiser. It was successful to the point of planning three this year. I had as you would expect many questions asked, the most common across all three as " how do you choose a particular scene or item or part of a scene to paint. I cannot remember the exact discussions, but I did find it a bit difficult trying to put into words some of the feeling that goes into the choice. Bottom line was some things just ask to be painted, not meant as fob off. What I would like is fellow painters ideas and veiws, these I can then feedback in the workshops as a help to others. Many thanks in anticipation of your help. Dixie
I have heard that one several times Dixie and yes how do you answer it. ? . How do you explain about a colour , a shape a feeling. I don’t know. I think just encourage people to actually “ look” . Stop and see and enjoy the moment, new comers and non painters often don’t know how to do this. Plus going to galleries , sitting in a field or woodland, playing with shapes and colours...a hard one .
Some things just have to be painted, or just waiting to be painted......are just how I see things,. I used to take photos of things that take my interest, but they just don't give you that feeling that goes with a painting.,... I'm not good or experienced with all those descriptive words used, but I believe feelings and memories are portrayed in every painting I do..... Unfortunatly, paintings do take up more space ( I have at least 300) more than digital photos...lol.......hope I'm making some sense here, I love painting en Plein air when in Cornwall...the same scene can take on so many different memories.... Hope this of some use . ..
I think the answer boils down to a simple "I like that", and a desire to interpret "that" in paint, music, dance, poetry or whatever is your weapon of choice
I agree, there is some kind of in built sixth sense that just says 'paint this'. But I am always fascinated by, and admire, people who can see a good paining in what is, to many of us, a whole landscape without any apparent focal point. Tessa's example above is a classic case. How do you see that painting when looking at the whole landscape. Perhaps, if there are any guidelines it would make an interesting article in The Artist or Leisure Painter.
My thoughts are that the desire to paint is the first step and that with time you become more selective in what you paint. With watercolours you can let the water do the work for you but this only comes through practice. Looking for good contrast in light and shade is what I look for now but when I started I just painted what was in front of me. Just tell them it’s a great life ahead whatever you choose.
I took a group sketching a few days ago in the Leicester Botanic Gardens - they are a real treasure little known (the gardens that is). Anyway one of the tips I gave them was not to be overawed by the many beautiful vistas there but to concentrate on something small and work up. Maybe a group of pots or just the brickwork and reeds round a formal pond. To draw something like that gives confidence and often results in the best work. I recall painting a few dustbins round the back of a hotel situated on a beautiful sea front - one of the best I have ever done. In other words don't look for the perfect scene - just look at what is around you. There is potential inspiration in every nook and cranny - just open the mind.