Is The Forum Dyeing?

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 1 of 2
It's 3.30pm on the 17th May and unless anyone gets there while I am typing this out, I'll be the first to post on the forum. Apart from wanting to be the first today it does make me wonder if we have all run out of steam. Certainly I do find many of the recent topics a tad on the boring side - or is it only me?
I have looked at the forum several times today, and wondered the same thing. It would be sad only have the rare posts, in the past month or more since I'm joined it seem quite lively, and suddenly gone silent. I know it's no good posting something just for the sake of doing so. But I bet there's are a few people out there who think about putting something that would result in follow up postings but are not sure about doing so, PLEASE go ahead. I'm going to.
I do sometimes think that it is in danger of dying a slow death! But this has happened before as we know, and will eventually rally round. One of the issues is that not enough of the gallery posters contribute, and you can't make people use the forum. Quite a few recent posts have indeed been mundane Michael - that's being kind! I suppose it's up to the regulars to keep coming up with topics, but I'm probably as much to blame on that score, although I will generally comment if someone asks a serious painting question, but will ignore what I consider to be silly trivial nonsense. I'll get my thinking cap on...

Edited
by alanbickley

We need a good Syd...
Yes Syd was a one off - deeply missed. Lets hope we get a few more interesting (even controversial ?) topics - my thinking cap is on.
Posting a topic is tricky. The first thought is... 'is this going to be of any interest?' Or does it only interest me? I like reading about artists who are happy to share their working practices and thoughts about their art. I find it illuminating when they talk about their mistakes and difficulties. I have lots of these. I posted on this theme. At first it had some comments from the forum stalwarts. I recently added to it. One comment from Dixie (thanks), plus very few people looking and not commenting. So I must conclude that it was of no interest. That, of course, is my fault. But it puts you off posting...it will be a while before I post again.
It's not just here - Forum use generally has all but flatlined with the rise of Facebook and other "Day in the life of a corn flake" sites. We'll survive. Every now and then we can have a good chew of the cud over something controversial. Let me start you off - Is "Salvatore Mundi" really by Leonardo? The only Forum page I know that's thriving is for classical guitar, but even that's stagnated to a lot of "What's the best way to play this?" (answer: on a guitar) or "What strings would be best for this guitar (that nobody's ever heard of)?" at which point everybody piles in with "Well, I use Boffo strings, so they must be the best"
As Alan mentions above, social media has overtaken the forum format as the communication method of choice for the majority of people. I run a Facebook car group which is reasonably successful for something 'niche' - 280-odd members. I set up a forum a couple of years ago and it died on its arse after six months. I tried starting off threads that I thought people would be interested in, polls, competitions, you name it - no interest. I think that it's not 'instant' enough for many people.
Michael - the mere fact that you have made this post , and the replies to it , have cheered me up no end . I have oft seen a post which I am tempted to reply to but felt at the time that my reply would be too long and might bore the ( black ) knickers off some people so I kept schtum . So if my rep[lies seem a little petulant or plain annoying bear in mind that I look at this at least four times a day and sometimes feel that I want to chip in but hold back too much . So Michael and everybody - thanks for an interesting forum which ( usually ) cheers me up , I am much more likely to pick a brush when I'm cheerful that when depressed . Cheers
I've been trying to think of something to say, but can't get past the black knickers. Were they black in mourning for the death of the forum? Sometimes it's a non painting thread that bursts into life. I like doing pics about things...odd sayings etc (this is my very anorexic link to arty things). Here's two that might have sparked a picture, had I the time.... One of the great things about books is that sometimes there are really great pictures. (George W Bush). Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else. (??????...!!!!) Here's a questionable phrase I did a pic for, and didn't bother to post...you lot will just have to put up with it...
When I'm painting I enjoy listening to music and looking out of the studio window which looks across the garden. Neither directly have anything to do with painting but they are stimulating and help me get in the right frame of mind. I also have a daft sense of humour which not everyone appreciates or understands but it certainly helps me to relax and able to concentrate on other things. When things go a bit quiet on the forum I sometimes wonder if it's because it has become over-serious. I know not all contributors to the forum contribute to the more light hearted streams but for those of us who do they certainly get the forum back on track. So from time to time it's great to loosen up and enjoy a bit of humour and this is borne out by the current discussions and light-hearted banter. Long may it continue. By the way I'm surprised no one has picked up on the errant 'e' . I don't know how it got there. Can I have it back please. Michael dwards

Edited
by MichaelEdwards

Dear Mr Dwards. Are you by any chance related to Mr Stepfor Dwives? D
Showing page 1 of 2