Black Hog Size

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Hi, could the Black Hog users be so kind as to tell me how they find the sizes? As in are they average bearing in mind the sometimes huge discrepancy in manufacturers’ sizes. I’m thinking of a size 8 filbert and am painting on 8x10 and 10x12. Could I also ask, are they a stiff brush? Thank you in advance.

Edited
by Larry

Specification here: https://www.jacksonsart.com/no-8-filbert-jacksons-black-hog-bristle-brush The late Syd Edward was an admirer of these brushes. This filbert is quite long, and softer than Chunking bristle - it's said to work well with both oil and acrylic, and this sort of size should suit you well for the dimensions of support you have in mind; with perhaps a few smaller ones. Is it stiff - well; stiffer than sable; stiffer than most synthetics; not as stiff as traditional hog. I wouldn't actually go to the wall in defence of any specific brush, because you have to get a feel for all of them, and whether these will suit you or not depends on a number of things. For acrylic, though, I would usually employ synthetic brushes, with a few hogs (any type) in reserve. And of the synthetic ranges I'd use, I'd go to the Rosemary & Co website, and choose from their Ivory, Shiraz (used to be Reflex), and golden acrylic ranges. But a handful of black hogs is always good to have - haven't used them for a while now, as it happens, but I doubt you'd be disappointed in them.
No, they're quite soft but I use them alongside my range of Hog brushes when oil painting. They are a useful addition for my work which is considerably larger than you are using. A size 8 from Rosemary & Co which is the best brand should be fine, but go for a selection of sizes. I don't know how loose or anything about your style of painting, so it is a difficult one to give a definitive answer. Jacksons Art also market a Black Hog, but I've not found them quite as sturdy, and do wear out quickly. Mind you, I do give them some hammer!
I took AYDs advice and biught BH brushes. They really are good. I didnt like acrylic but the brushes...no complaints.
Wouldn't be using an Ipad to type, would you David? I take it the above means 'I took Syd's advice and bought BH (black hog) brushes'! Just in the interests of transparency....... Good to have your endorsement of the brushes, however cryptically expressed, though.
Spot on!! Syds advice....also spot on. Dear Syd.