New member question - advice on beginning to paint in Watercolour

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
A new member has asked me for advice on achieving transparency in watercolour, having realized that the more he tries to add and develop his paintings, the more opaque they can get. I've done my best to advise in a private message, and of course have steered him towards Alan Owen on YouTube, and Patrick Leigh-Greaves, too. But it would be interesting to see others' advice - if someone who had just started in watercolour asked you how best to achieve that transparency which watercolour at its best can give, what's the best advice you could offer? Doesn't have to be just one thing - but if you wanted to keep it simple and effective, and offer the most practical way forward - what would you say?
Some obvious things come to mind such as changing the water after each wash. Basic I know but important. If you are sloshing on filthy water you have no chance. Certain combinations of colour mixes will create that 'muddy' look that is so awful in a watercolour, particularly when working wet-in-wet. Experiment on scraps of paper, create a colour chart that works for you. If you are building up your painting in layers, a technique that Rowland Hilder employed, make sure that the previous wash is bone dry. If you pick up any of the last layer, you could end up with a less than transparent wash. There are so many factors that can go wrong, but by following simple, tried and tested methods of working, nothing should go wrong. That's the theory anyway!. Yes Robert, I would also advocate getting on U-tube but you can get so confused with all the different demo's. Alan Owen is a good way to go, spontaneous and simple washes, and he does make it all look so simple, which it ain't!
I agree with Alan but must add that I never change my water and use the same pot of it right through to finish - also my palette is a muddy mess but I seem to get away with it. Not that that I am advocating this for the beginner - keep it clean until you become more experienced is good advice.
The November issues of both The Artist and Leisure Painter, both have useful articles on painting successful watercolours. WIP stages and ideas for colour choice and so on. Would be very useful in learning about transparent washes and avoiding the dreaded mud!
On top of all the good advice I would add two thinhs I learnt... Firstly, less is more. Does that next layer really need to be added? Secondly, practice. It seems every painting is better in some way than the last (not quite true, but the principle works), so if you want to get better faster, paint more prolifically . David