Celebrating woman in art

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
My work is a celebration of woman. I emphasise the breasts of my subjects to bring attention to the nature of the female reproductive system and hence creation and generation. I do not need to elevate my view of women any more than it is right now, as one artist has accused me of. Artists have been misunderstood and misjudged before; i am no exception; but i will carry on creating my vision of the greatness of woman and i do not apologise for celebrating her.
Good for you michael dont let anyone tell you how your art should be, people who try to put other artists in boxes only do it because they fear your talent, or they're jealous.
Please forgive my "calling a spade a spade" approach, but personally, I don't care what you, or anyone paints Michael. I just wish you'd cut the bullshxt. We all know what a woman looks like.

Edited
by Wanderer69

I think the "bullshit" as you put it is likely a reaction to other more insidious bullshit. Presumably since I don't see any bare breasts in the first few pages I imagine Michael has been attacked again for his choice of subject. These paintings are not particularly my cup of tea so I skip over them and rarely comment, which is what I suggest others do if they dislike them. There is nothing sexist or misogynistic about painting a woman, sexualized or not, regardless on the level of tastefulness employed. Art is a reaction to the world, and the world has women in it who cause a reaction in men. Regardless of your thoughts on this it is Michael's right to paint however he sees fit free of ridicule or shaming tactics. Not to put to finer point on this but bullying somebody as sensitive as him, somebody who functions slightly differently to the rest of us (and therefore may not be as equipped to deal with such social interactions) is mean spirited and thoughtless. Let him be.
Michael paint away . From a woman’s point of view I don’t find anything objectionable at all in your paintings. I find them “ endearing” . The sort of female paintings I object to are the salacious and titilating . Occasionally someone posts one of these and I find them insulting. Yours certainly are not. 🙂
In my defense I must say I have no objections to the lovely nude ladies as in the painting of the old masters…. But what I have seen over the last few months published on gallery makes me very unhappy that artists have admired certain nude grossly overweight xxxl large bosomed women that are portrayed as beautiful, I find it very disturbing trying to show youngers who want to see paintings on your gallery, only to find there is a very large breast glaring out from the middle of the screen. I do realize that all artist must feel free to paint whatever and however they wish and every body has the right to experiment, but I always thought that a little bit of decorum should win the day, I am very sorry if I have offended anyone, I do know that everyone is entitled to their opinion --even me, I feel that it is all very insulting for women who through no fault of their own ,have very large breasts and are not happy with them. Perhaps a little gentle hint to the artist concerned, might make him think that he might be upsetting a few ladies and possibly gents scanning the gallery. Please don't be too angry with me...I will now vanish into the woodwork Tao:(
I suspect its less the subject and more the relentless sameness which provokes negative comment .Theres such a thing as too much of a good thing. Even cake becomes boring, tiresome and irksome if eaten in sufficient quantity. Oh, theres a naughty pun there... David

Edited
by DavidG4YVM