Reeves Watercolours

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Bearing in mind that Reeves paints are generally regarded as a student quality, when I was given a box of their watercolours last year by an artist who had to give up painting through illness - and has since sadly died - I laid them aside and didn't use them. I just have, and am really surprised by how vibrant they are - I'll need to check on the lightfastness ratings and do my own tests as I normally do, but I'll not look a gift-horse in the mouth again, especially if it has Reeves name on it: they'd be fine for beginners, which in watercolour is what I really am, and I imagine professionals wouldn't sniff superciliously at them either. Give 'em a go if you see them in the shops - I didn't actually pay for them, but believe they're not expensive.
I have an Reeves art box that has in it watercolours, soft and oil pastels, and coloured pencils. I love everything in it. Like you say the paint colours are great - a little opaque due to fillers but I find them great to use. Mine were also a gift about five years ago and I've bought artists' quality paints since, but I still use them. If you want to splash colour around or just have fun, you can't go wrong with them I don't think.
I often find that it’s not the amount of money you pay for materials ,it’s what suits you. I do think the art material market has gone completely mad. New comers to buying art materials are beguiled by sales pitch and clever advertising making it an expensive pass time. Start with the best you can afford in small amounts and build on it and then only simple basics , no one needs unnecessary kit and daffy items. A bit of research and an ask around. We have all been there and done it to some extent. Certainly I have . Reeves , if I am correct are one of the oldest paint manufacturers and I’m sure they were the make of my first box of paints. So lucky you Robert.
Interesting - you two are much more experienced with watercolours than I am, so I take this as an endorsement of the product. I notice that they're made in China for Reeves: and China has a huge reputation of and experience with watercolours. And Sylvia - I couldn't agree with you more about the art materials market having lost its grip: so much stuff is being pushed at us which we don't really need: I understand why, of course - profit needs to be maintained, and introducing new colours, ranges, equipment is a means to an end. But I see some manufacturers offering up to 40 different colours in one case, and nearly 100 in another - I just can't see a practical use for nine tenths of them: most can be mixed from colours already available, and those that can't are hardly essential. Choice is a great thing, but total confusion isn't, especially for beginners.
When I joined POL about 18 months ago I was still using Reeves watercolours...a little box with about eight colours, including black and white. You can still get it - about £7-£8. I'd started painting bigger pictures and needing more paints I got Cotman...now I'm on White Knights. I'll stay with White Knights, but can I honestly say I notice the difference in quality? My current paints are better for glazing, but really that's about it. I've still got pictures painted with Reeves. I've posted several. I've shown one below (sorry to those who've seen it), it was one of the earliest I posted and in the intro I'm waffling about getting new paints. It hung in our living room for about five years until my picture rotation system kicked in...it still looks as fresh as the day I painted it. Will it last 50 years? Who knows? Who cares? Reeves paints are OK. Apart from a little white gouache on the toucan, it's all Reeves. Lew
Again - interesting! I found the colours (I used tubes, incidentally) clean, clear, and strong. And I see those qualities in your painting. Mind you, ability helps.....!