Artists wanted for bereavement project

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Hi, I’m getting in touch about a project I am really hoping you might be keen to support. Words For Loss is a non-commercial enterprise, encouraging people who have experienced loss to share one or two key sentences of support with others who are in the midst of grief, ideally against an artistic background. We know the subject is taboo, but that is part of the problem, so we really hope you can help. We would love anyone who has experienced loss, to each create a small picture / painting with a caption (or a photo with a caption, a video clip, or even send us an object which we can photograph, along with a note on why it’s significant to you). These will be posted on a website, www.wordsforloss.org, which will be launching later in the year. We will donate £0.25 to Cruse Bereavement Care for every submission we use. We suggest each submission answers one of these two questions: 1. What surprised you about your grief? By sharing this, you might let at least one person see that what they are going through is, in fact, ‘normal’. Or 2. What would be your one ‘top tip’ for getting through the darkest days? Practical, emotional, big, small – you choose. What you share is up to you – we just ask that you: Share words that might be of practical or emotional help, give people hope, make them feel less alone or help to make their grief seem less frightening. Keep it short – one sentence or a few words, so that it can be easily read on screen. Keep it anonymous – please do not identify yourself or others. Allow us to publish your contribution as part of the project. Make sure it can be read / viewed when published online at about postcard size We know there is no one-size-fits-all approach. But your words may reach out to someone who desperately needs guidance in their darkest hour. Thank you – truly and wholeheartedly. Nina and Laura x [email protected] PO Box 275, Shotesham, Norfolk NR15 1UQ, United Kingdom.
Trouble is, when you've just lost someone, words don't come easily - and afterwards, you may not want to revisit the pain. Certainly, I'm not keen on providing truisms that most bereaved people know already but aren't yet ready to find of comfort. You may receive a good response to this appeal, but if you don't - these may be among the reasons.
Working as a hospital chaplain for nearly thirteen years I have found that words of comfort are not always what are wanted or, indeed welcome. What is needed is someone to patiently listen to the grieving person, without time limits if possible. We will never know what the other person is feeling, despite what the current bereavement counselling handbooks might tell us. Good luck with your project all the same Kevin Keeley [sketcher]