My first impressions with acrylics

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Well I came to acrylics with an open mind from a point of not really liking the end result I so often see. Im half way through my second painting now and I'm not that happy with them. I do have a habit of slopping paint on heavy handed but I thought I got a more delicate expression with my water colours. After this second painting I shall try something quite different, much smaller, and see how I get on with that. I shall certainly use up my paint...but I miss my delicate watercolours... D
But David you can just paint over it and start all over again . Are you working dark to light? The opposite of watercolours .,. Get watercolour out of your head for now. I know you you will be finicking with a squidgy small brush., Have you got a small palette knife .? . Instead of doing a proper painting have a play see what you can do , paint a sky. No not just blue , pretend it’s stormy and wild. Paint some waves. Paint a small woodland .its almost blue bell time I give you permission to copy my bluebell pic in your collaborator book. . Just experiment and relax. If you make a pigs lug just paint over it.
No Syd, I am NOT putting paint on in wodges. Did I say that? maybe I did. I'm using it in a variety of thicknesses from watery to creamy to see what happens. Today I was using an old credit card (Sylvia) as a knife...good fun! Yes working dark to light I shall persist till the paint runs dry...lets see if I re-order!!
Acrylics are just tailor made for abstraction, perhaps try that. All sorts of interesting textures and shapes, paint can go on thick or thin, glazing is a breeze, just have a play and don't expect a masterpiece at first.
Keep percevering, all mediums take a while to learn their nuances and to some degree unlearn habits from previous mediums... As Syd said, asses your progress and likes after 20 paintings :-)
We should perhaps have explained that an apron, or smock if such things still exist, would be a very good idea.
I know lots of acrylic painters use water to dilute the paint - as I do. However, have you tried a medium instead such as Acrylic Glazing Medium? I find that, building up layers of transparent colour can often give amazing results especially when painting water, skies or foliage. Try mixing the medium 1:1 with paint allowing one layer to dry or almost dry before applying the next. Worth a go.
Well I was not looking forward to this latest painting (my first canvas, wip) but I have been pleasantly surprised .I have quite enjoyed the experience and still am. I shall have a nother go with acrylics...it might become a habit D
There are far, far worse habits into which you could fall - I enjoy acrylics, they work well on canvas and on so many other surfaces, they're so easy to clean up when you've done, they're really nowhere near as expensive as oils..... yup, make a habit of it. You'll love it.
If it is any consolation, I have a chap in my art group who I tried for 3 years to get out of his comfort zone of watercolour landscapes and try some other subject using acrylics. I am happy to report that after some time, he gave it a go. Just recently, he had a painting in a local gallery as part of a group exhibition and it wasn't a landscape. He thought he would never be able to handle acrylics but he is now using them and making a very good job. It just needs patience to change from one medium to another I think.