Site Niggle

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 1 of 2
it's been niggling me since I've joined the site, but I've just worked out what it is. we need a SOCIAL forum creating, somewhere where ART isn't necessary, a place we can talk about anything except art, a General discussion""" forum, one where I can create a post called " WHAT ARE YOU LISTENING TO NOW?" and members can post their favorite songs, or movies, to build a stronger social network, your welcome =) x
<pre style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-style: normal; font-variant-ligatures: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; orphans: 2; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; widows: 2; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration-style: initial; text-decoration-color: initial; word-wrap: break-word; white-space: pre-wrap;"></pre>

Edited
by aya

I agree. A few times I have wanted to post non-art related thoughts. D
The trouble with an "Anything" section is that sooner or later it degenerates into a flame war about religion or politics, probably both. I left Wholenote dot com - a guitar forum - because their "Anything" section ended up in a transatlantic row about how we'd "all be speaking German" over in Europe if it hadn't been for the Americans. Go figure. This morning (in my role as Forum Moderator) I've dis'd a post on Guitar Noise dot com (another guitar forum) about the legalisation of marijuana - it's nothing to do with the site's raison d'etre. I have better things to do than wade through piles of huge egos clogging up the forum posting indefensible arguments. I'm against an "Anything goes" section

Edited
by alang23

It's a forum for artist's, and in the main art topics, although as Sylvia has said, it does wander off subject at times. (no problem with that). I don't have time, or any interest in general chit-chat, although others may. I prefer to be in the studio painting to be honest, or better still, out and about doing some plein-air stuff. (roll on the warmer weather). There are lots of forums around if you want that sort of thing Aya, I don't see this happening on this forum somehow!
I wouldn't want it either. As has been said, we get people going off at a tangent anyway, as it usually stems from an art-based theme that's understandable. So I wouldn't participate in an 'anything' forum (IF it happened.) I'm interested in other people's opinions but I visit this site for art.
Good to see some fellow musicians here, without getting off topic I would't have known... This isn't my first forum and it is interesting to see the different ways forums are moderated. I am a member of several collectors forums where if a flame war emerges they just leave us to it, and strangely enough everyone gets on fine (and I have had several bust ups there over politics and religion but managed to keep those purely on topic and not personal) Other forums have off topics with those particular subjects off limits, and one forum is so strict a guy got banned for posting an image of a classical Greek marble because it was nude. Personally I am a free speech advocate, it is by talking ideas through that shortcomings in ones own model of the world gets corrected and exposure to conflicting arguments helps you know your own more comprehensively. Any matter of any gravity is liable to offend someone but offense is really a small-minded reaction to hearing something uncomfortable, better to be exposed to such things and learn how to manage ones emotions or make a rebuttal. Any infringement on speech is tantamount to mind control, to stop us delving for the truth and expressing ourselves... I am not for it no matter the authority. Having said all that we are welcome to PM each other off topic, and I am not here to discuss anything but art (despite always being willing to go to war for my principles if someone wishes to advocate systems of religion or politics that have slain millions already) I too probably wouldn't be interested in an off topic area, I would just like to see more meaningful art discussion and more members contributing... .
There's a legion of such sites, including Facebook - I participate, rather nervously, in a party political site which really has to be a private group because we don't want people to see us tearing lumps out of each other: that has calmed down, thanks to the banning of one member who seemed to be sharing his mental breakdown with us, but it's an indication of what can happen in a free-for-all. There's also the company's reputation to think of: I really don't think The Artists Publishing Company, which supplies this forum, would want to see itself mired in political controversy - that isn't why it created the website at all. There are so many ways of debating issues, in blogs, personal websites, Facebook, even the ghastly Twitter (I suppose: I think that's just a classic opportunity for people to say b. stupid things and then be embarrassed by them later - I'll swear half the contributors are drunk out of their minds when they post there). But I don't want to debate Donald Trump, or Jeremy Corbyn, or Theresa May, Brexit, the Skripal poisoning, on here - and that's what we'd revert to. So no: let's not....
thats fine Robert just wondered :) at least I got to post me song haha x

Edited
by aya

We'd laugh because he has as yet done nothing to define him as a "great" president. Lincoln was 'great'. Churchill was 'great' (though not a prez). To pop Trump into the same category at the moment would be laughable. He has time of course; perhaps the North Koreans will throw down their arms and fling open their doors to massive reform...then Trump would be 'great'.
There are plenty of chit-chat sites (Facebook, Twitter et al) I think this should be a forum for art and art related matters.
The things I like about this site, are a) the technical expertise and advice b) the different styles and media c) the imaginative banter which includes other subjects, but is still art based. If you want to chat about other things, think of it as a challenge to make it art oriented and the result could be truly creative.
I think we can still share some music... some musicians are really artists... Bjork for instance, everything she does is whack. This video for instance, the grass reminds me of Van Gogh the floaty aliens are cool... she is always alien herself, she hardly ages (she was born in 65) I am not sure there is an artist with a greater discography... every album unique, and too many great tracks to name. This has a strange video...it isn't her greatest track in my opinion... I like stuff like Joga with orchestration and her accapella album Medulla is cool too but I think Post is my favourite album along with Homogenic.

Edited
by Daveyboyz

Showing page 1 of 2