New competitions...Have you seen ?

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Some lovely new competitions just appeared on the Competition page. I especially like the ones set by David Bellamy and Adebanji Alade .
I have now... thanks Sylvia, those two should attract a fair bit of competition, I'll certainly be giving it my best shot as always.
i never do any good in competitions, but as I rarely enter that's not too surprising!
I've entered a few competitions in my time, never won anything, but always hoped (in vain) for some feedback. The last I entered, after a gap of many many years, was the recent 'paint anything you like' competition in POL. I had my doubts, suspecting that 'anything you liked' meant anything that had featured in the magazines. (Which is fair enough, I suppose). I like painting in cartoon style, that seldom appears in the magazines. (It doesn't even feature in the medium/genre categories for uploading pics on POL). But pen & ink, and watercolour does, so I gave it a shot. I was hoping it might be a bit different to previous competitions I'd entered. I was surprised there was no feedback...the entries were shown in the competition section, there didn't seem to be that many. But no feedback...I guess that costs money. So, unless you win, or there IS feedback, entering a competition is a bit like temporarily storing your pic in some black hole. Is it worth entering? I suppose so, you never know, art being so subjective. Will I paint/draw something 'specifically' to enter a competition? No. David Bellamy is largely a landscape artist...not my thing. The other sketching theme sounds of interest, if I sketch something I want to sketch and it fits I might give that a go. So to those who enjoy competitions, good luck, and I shall look at the entries with interest. This isn't meant to be negative - I've probably failed miserably - I'm just airing my views on the forum.
I enter a fair few competitions, nearly always local to me but occasionally venturing further afield. It is fair to say that I've had some degree of success also, which is rewarding for all the effort. I've also had my fair share of disappointments over the years, inevitable of course, but I just shrug it off and carry on with even more determination. I'm always up for a challenge, it gives me something to focus on and a deadline to work to, and I will often stretch myself and tackle a subject that I may otherwise choose to leave alone. Deadline for this years Patching's open competition is the next one looming in mid April.