Inspired by Thomas kinkarde

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
I started this large piece inspired by an image from my Thomas kinkarde book that’s full of images using acrylic and I applied some of the acrylic markers to try and get shading in. I struggle sometimes to do the flowers in the trees on paintings it can seem tricky. However I try applying light colours first then the dark shades. Il update again how I progress. Thomas kinkarde had a style that seems so perfect but I’ve learnt to follow my own as trying to be someone else is impossible!
Who is Thomas Kincarde? Do you mean Thomas Kincade or is it someone different?
Not always a good idea to use two different blues in sky and sea, as I suspect you've done here, and as Syd has noticed. But if this is a WIP, you might be planning to make all sorts of changes to it. Thomas Kincade - since I presume that's the man you mean - is a very dubious source of inspiration, to be quite honest. Certainly he was technically competent, in oil rather than in acrylic, but he was also extraordinarily kitsch, sentimental, and overblown. You could choose far better examples to guide you - and are likely to go very wrong if you follow him.
Kincade works sell well, particularly in the US. but that is about the best you can say about him. Since he has died it leaves a gap in the market if anyone wants to pick up the gauntlet. but it will not be me. He was renown for fine detail and even used an airbrush at times.
He was technically good as I think Robert has already said but it ends there. Ghastly twee 'tight' paintings such as his 'Bridge of Hope', yes, chocolate box images at their best. His work does sell in the States, which probably indicates that the style and subject that he embraced are still popular with many, - this never surprises me but leaves me slightly disappointed. Do your own thing vhicks29 and throw that book away. Actually, your painting bears no resemblance to a Kinkade, keep on practicing and you will improve. My advise is always to paint lots of quick paintings, from life if you can, and don't treat every painting as though it has got to be a masterpiece, that may come later with any luck...
There is a certain element of Pisa-lean, yes....... but you can get away with that if the rest of the painting works. On the whole though - it needs to be solidly perpendicular. My advice, given before but repeated now, is don't rely on Mr Kincade's ouevre - look at things around you, go out and LOOK, and then paint them. If you really like Kincade's work, well then - you do. But he wasn't a good artist even if he did know how to draw and paint - put him to one side, and do your own thing, not his. That's the way to improve as a painter - not copying anyone else, and to be quite honest, most certainly not Thomas Kincade.