Photo downloaded onto site on it's side.

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
I downloaded my photo right way up, but it has downloaded on it's side. This has happened twice with different photos. How can I put this right. Please help. Caroline 123
Are you downloading from a PC or some other device? If the former, I could make a suggestion or two; if the latter - I've no idea, I'm afraid. I think this might be one for Ipad (etc) owners, or Dawn Farley, the web manager, who can be contacted by clicking on the envelope symbol at the top of the page.
What we've noticed from other users is that if you photograph your artwork with an iPad, the iPad has to be the right way up when you take the photo or it uploads it wonky.
I think I might bump this thread back to the top again, because there were three or four pictures on the gallery this morning lying on their sides - let's hope people read this.
Robert, I don't think that a lot of the artists who post to the Gallery do read the Forum. Having just seen several more "sideways" photos this evening (UK time) I'm going to very tentatively raise something I've been wanting to ask for a while. Would I be correct in assuming that making it possible to rotate a painting once posted has been looked into and is a no go? I realise that programming doesn't come cheap, and also that changes in one place can cause problems elsewhere. But if it were possible it could solve this particular problem. Always supposing of course that those people actually check their posts.
Sandra, I'm not Robert but I will answer this one. Yes, there does seem to be more than ever posting upside down or on its side. I'm pretty sure that the online team will not make any changes. There may be a few tweaks to one or two issues in the coming year (this is only maybe), I have asked the question of multiple postings, I know that this is an issue for many of us and this is one of the things that may be looked at. So, back to your question. I personally think that the onus is on the poster to get his or her act together and sort out these issues, it's down to basic incompetence on their part. Yes, I agree with you that only a small proportion that post on the gallery actually venture onto the forum. If they did, they would find the answers to this problem. Anything that looks as though it was posted in Australia gets no more than a cursory glance by me and I quickly dismiss it. If they can't be bothered then nor can I, simple as that.
Sylvia, Alan, thank-you very much. I guessed that would be the case. And of course it should be possible to sort it out, really surprises me that some people don't want to see their work displayed to advantage. I still upload mine from device to computer first, rotate/crop as necessary, and then post, but I know that a lot of people now post straight from their iPad. And like the both of you, I now don't bother looking at or commenting on any that look as if they were "posted in Australia" (that gave me a bit of a chuckle), unless they are exceptionally good.
I'm told, by the indefatigable Dawn, that some competition entries have arrived at TAPC in the same lying-on-their-side-and-waiting-for-death state - you enter a competition and can't even be bothered to edit your damn' picture? Is there any hope for these people? (Not if they want to win it, no....) I think you're all right that people don't look at the forum, where this question has been answered more than once. Of course I sympathize with those people who struggle with technology, they're not alone; but as it happens, I have a lot of trouble with neck movement (ie, it's not at all keen on moving laterally sometimes) and I won't even take the risk of cocking my head to one side like an inquisitive cockatoo to study a picture that's lying sideways - 'cause if I do, there's quite likely to be an alarming click and nasty twinge: now, my devotion to art knows no bounds, but I'm not going to put my neck out for it. When there's so much free software out there enabling you to edit your pictures before posting them, I find it hard to understand people who won't use it and expect this site to miraculously straighten a picture - but then, I don't have an Ipad and perhaps they're more difficult to handle than my steam-powered pc.
I find my steam-powered pc does seem to handle photo editing the easiest. I have a tablet rather than an iPad and until I read Pat's solution, hold the tablet a certain way round, photos would come out any which way, however I could always straighten them up on the pc before posting. Incidentally friends' holiday snaps would arrive on my pc on their side or upside down as well as some from the same batch right way up, they didn't know why some came out wrong way up. Now of course I can tell them. I find my new smartphone takes more accurate photos than the much older tablet, but still send them through the computer. I am absolutely staggered that people enter un-edited photos into a competition though.