Help! Identifying Artist

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Hello Everyone New Member here and i need your help ive exhausted my research on this Painting and i hope this community can help me, last year i emptied my mothers loft and came across this painting thats been up there since the early seventies Its by an Artist named LAW and painted in 1970 and by the looks of it it looks like a Bavarian Guest House in the background and a standpipe and trough in the foreground my research only came up with one LAW and that was BOB LAW the British minimalist painter the same signature in block capitals in black but this does not look like his works that i have found online though by a very strange coincidence he had 2 Exhibitions in Germany in Dusseldorf and Berlin in 1970 so i i guess he was in the country in the summer of 1970 so i guess we have 2 Painters named LAW in Germany in 1970 who sign their paintings in block capitals in black! Whats the odds on that! My research on Bob Law found that he destroyed most of his works and not that many survive but he did have a huge interest in Architecture and did study it early on in his career so i guess a building like this might have caught his eye. Do the Members think there could be a slim chance it could be him passing time while over there? Lots of Primary colours which BOB LAW was famous for in his paintings or am i just clutching at straws? Please excuse the flash from the camera on the painting. I truly will appreciate any replys Thank you.
I think you have done all the research you could. I’ve never heard of the guy. It’s a pretty naff painting. Maybe actually go to or send a pic to a real art expert and valuer .
Thank You Sylvia i agree its naff you ought to see his other stuff, Yet had exhibitions all over the world in the most famous galleries including the Tate i wouldnt give you twopence for his stuff but some of it very valuable. The Art world very strange at times.
Thanks Pat got to go to work will have a look later.
Bob Law died in 2004, but as you say - this doesn't look anything like anything he was known to have painted, even though he did destroy some of his work (I think he might have destroyed this, if he had painted it!). Paintings hidden in lofts are very rarely worth anything - that's why they were hidden in the loft. Afraid I couldn't find anything remotely helpful to you, either in my book collection or online. It looks like an amateur work to me - memory of a Bavarian holiday, perhaps?
Thanks Robert i agree not my cup of tea but i assume he was in Germany in 1970 given that he had 2 exhibitions there, yes he did destroy most of his works but sometimes not for years but a few did escape his wrath but as a betting man theres a lot of coincidences dont you think? Obviously the Name in black and in Capitals and not far from a beer by the looks of it that he was very fond off! Stranger things have happened. Obviously away from his studio and his normal tools of the trade could he have just gotten bored one day and spat this one out i guess its not out the realms of possibilities but as he destroyed most of his stuff its hard to compare with anything else similar that he might have done i dont want to take it from its frame at this stage to see if theres any clues on the back of the paper but if i cant get anywhere i might have too. Thanks again.
Thanks Syd but i have a theory this Picture was painted by him and my guess is this painting was painted late summer early autumn, I think BOB LAW while in Germany went where all the other tourists went and that was the Bavarian Beer Festivals this would be on the top of his bucket list!! I think to make ends meet and for Beer Money hes selling paintings to tourists and they sure as s**t NOT going to buy that minimalism malarky WHICH is why its so different to his usual stuff and escaped his wrath!! As well as all the other coincidences i think he just signed it LAW as not to associate with it, or i could be just driving myself Nuts.