Digital?

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
I'm sure the usually excellent [name removed on legal advice] has started doing digital stuff hasn't he? Looks digi to me anyway. No matter how I try, I can't see this technique has any real quality at all. His paintings with real media as opposed to virtual are so good, it seems a shame to be dabbling with virtuality. oh well. I guess it's cheaper than oil. I'm sure I'm in a minority. D
Might help if we had any idea who you're talking about, though.....
Whisper it David. Though I think I know who you mean ...initials D R . If so he has been doing digital pics for ages. Unless I’m barking* up the wrong tree.

Edited
by SylviaEvans

No, I mean Timothy Holmes...excellent works in oil but I'm not at all keen on the digi stuff. Each to his own of course, and he's better in that medium than I will eve be in ANY medium, so I am not chucking rocks by any means. D
I have to agree that Timothy's work is just superb and I take my hat off to him for trying alternatives. I am convinced that not sticking to one medium/format is one of the ways to continually improve in your preferred style/medium or whatever and also your output never gets boring. Without giving names away I could point to artists who are at the top of their game and yet to my mind their works never provide any excitement or interest simply because everything they produce looks the same and it's what we have come to expect.
I have to say that I do admire anyone who can paint digitally. I have had a little try and it's sooooo difficult to control, I haven't got the patience for it. I thought of Dennis straight away and have only ever seen him do digital work, I think I would have a shock to see an actual painting of his in the gallery, obviously he is a good artist to do what he does!. I have just seen Timothy's and did wonder why the digital piece but have to say it is very good. As for trying different mediums, I think it's good. In the past I've tried oils, acrylics and watercolor but recently I've found coloured pencils and I have fallen madly in love with them. I think it's because they are so easy to control, admittedly it takes a hell of a long time to do (but I seem to have the patience for this!!) but I'm so enjoying the process of learning what they can do! I find YouTube an amazing teaching tool and think we are so lucky that we can watch brilliant artists at work.
He's a very fine artist. That's it. Whether he uses the latest top-of-the-range digital software or burnt sticks. Digital art is here...it will get bigger and bigger. Right now, marvelous work is being produced with it. It's just another medium. It's the work that matters...you'll either like it or dislike it, as you do with all the other mediums.
I see digital as a seperate art like sculpture, photgraphy, even collage. They all have merit, just shouldn't be confused with each other. I only ever use digital to frame paintings for effect. The rest is pencil, pen, brush and paint for me. I totally agree with Silvia about passing off electronically enhanced photography in the same class as the purely old style art of creating by painting pictures. Not decrying anything, just seperating them. My trousers tell the difference, painting is the one that gets me in trouble regularly with my wife. 😆
I came across this frank and interesting blog on line yesterday, this young lady has been very honest in her feelings over her experience with a digital tablet. I was sad to see some very nasty comments underneath her piece, mainly by idiots without the experience to understand what she was getting at. Also mainly showing that they hadn't either read properly or understood what she was saying. Hope you were as interested as i was. You'll find it on: https://design.tutsplus.com/articles/why-you-shouldnt-get-a-graphics-tablet--cms-24272 let me know what you think. John
The general consensus seems to be that we mostly admire digital, but have doubts about quick 'gimmicks' made at the touch of a button. I'm always interested in the way artists work, several artists have said they sometimes use a digital effect as a starting point for a painting. (I mean, for example, that you can turn a photo of your grandson into a pen & ink at the press of a button...of course, even dabblers in digital art, like me, would recognize it as such.) But this can enable you to 'see' an image in a different way, and, as such, can be seen as another tool in the workbox. And a wonderful tool it is. You can produce remarkably crisp images with it such as this card..http://www.painters-online.co.uk/gallery/art-view,picture_208310.htm. I view digital art in the same way as I do all other forms...some of it is wonderful and inspirational...and some leaves me cold. I look forward to seeing more of it in the galleries next year.
Just saw Michael's comment, and feel the urge to add - I couldn't agree with him more if he paid me (which he won't!). Artists who just churn out the same stuff because it's been a profitable niche, perhaps, have stopped developing.