LUKAS WATERCOLOURS

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
From some enquiries I have already made SCHMINCKE Watercolours & possibly LUKAS are most convenient to travel with as the actual colours do not "migrate" when squeeezed from tubes into the box ? I have found that Daler-Rowney colours tend to move about a bit due to their being a bit "syrupy". Also, Schmincke are easily activated by fine water spray. Has anyone actually bought & used LUKAS watercolours as their price is quite attractive too ?
I haven't, but their oils are good, if that's any help.
Hi herrflick, I bought few tubes of Lukas pro. watercolors some time ago. Even choosing only single pigment colors I am not really pleased by the quality of Lukas. They dry really quickly and stick on the palette as well which makes them good choice for filling a travel palette in the last minute :). I was attracted of the price too but at the end you got what you paid for ! Lukas are offering really huge tubes (24ml) but W&N and DvP (37ml) does too. Schmincke are a good brand but when comparing the pigment charts you can notice that certain but important colors aren't single pigment which is little disturbing having in mind the price. The quality is good but I am not sure if they would dry fast on the travel palette.As a handmade brass palette craftsman I have tried many many brands and the most non suitable for travel palettes are M.Graham watercolor paints - these are made with honey and if you squeeze in half pan you could wait for months to harden,but that makes them the most concentrated watercolor brand on the market. If you could afford Da Vinci watercolor paints I am sure you will be very happy using them, but at the end choose that you are convenient with. Regards. Peter