Help to identify artist

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Hi all I bought this oil painting last Saturday in Norfolk, UK. It is signed by T. Wills - I have found online another 2 paintings from the same artist but havent found any information about T. Wills. The other 2 paitings are Called Ohio Valley and Waterside Country Cottage. Can anyone help me? Many thanks, Bruno

Edited
by blourenco

Can't find anything - or at least, probably no more than you've found already; paintings signed by T Wills aren't fetching much money, but as to who he or she was and any information about date - nothing so far. Might be Victorian? It could be the photograph, but the condition of the painting so far as I can see it suggests it might be time to remove the old varnish, and replace it with a fresh coat - it looks a bit as if it's 'bloomed', probably from being protected with dammar or mastic varnish years ago. It could clean up quite well, without ever achieving 'old master' status. At least we've got a legible signature this time - that's a first!
Thank you Robert and Sylvia. The painting does look like it needs a good clean, as I am not an artist myslef I would have to get professional help, does anyone know how much that would cost me? I found another couple of T Wills paintings online, one of them for £3,500 in the USA! I have requested more information about the artist to the seller, althought I am not thinking of selling it, just curious to know more about T Wills. It does look Victorian to me but I am not an experct and all your comments are most welcome! Bruno https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/553204073/t-wills-original-old-oil-painting?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=T%20wills%20oil&ref=sr_gallery_1

Edited
by blourenco

There aren't too many conservators around, but they do exist - try asking at local antique shops, art supplies shops, or even put a request on Facebook or Google Art Restorers/Conservators - and make sure s/he comes well recommended. Sometimes auction houses or local colleges can provide a link - even, if you have an art director, which comes under various job descriptions, at your local council or NHS Trust - our local hospital has a substantial art collection, for example, and a professional employed to look after it. It isn't so very difficult to do this yourself, but I wouldn't tackle an old painting if you've no experience, so won't suggest how you might do it! The big danger is removing paint as well as old varnish. And pressure on stretched canvas can crack paint - best left to experts. I'd be very interested to hear of anything you do find about T Wills - perhaps you'd let us know if you find anything.
The only conservator that I do know does not want any publicity as it would attract interest from thieves, wanting to steal the very valuable paintings that she has in her studio. what I do know is that she uses human spittle to clean off most of the build up from the paint. Best of luck.
As do many - not to remove old varnish though: you'd need an awful lot of spit....
Hi - can anyone help me identify this artist?
Someone might be able to help , a close up of the signature, and any details on the back would help. Unfortunately from Judy the photo unless it’s someone well known it’s almost impossible but we do have a a few excellent investigators , Alan and Robert to name two. 
Not on this occasion I’m afraid… not my area of expertise!
Likewise - I have no idea - are those perforations along the top?