Royal Society of Marine Artists exhibition

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
The Royal Society of Marine Artists exhibition opens today at the Mall Galleries and is well worth a visit if you can get into central London, before it closes on the 14th October. There are so many beautiful paintings and if you are a lover of the sea and all things marine it will be a real treat. I won't list all the artists here but there are a lot of names you'll be very familiar with... David Curtis, Trevor Chamberlain, John Lines, Raymond Leech, Peter Wileman, Karl Terry, Lesley Dabson, Deborah Walker, Peter Barker, Robert Brindley, Peter Cronin, Bruce Mulcahy, John Stillman... I'm extremely delighted to have three plein air paintings in the exhibition this year, two from Portugal and one that I painted in Devon this summer. In the picture here you can see two of mine at the top and then second down on the right hand side. Below that is one by Trevor Chamberlain so I am in excellent company! If you take a look at the Mall Galleries website you can see all of the paintings in the exhibition, as well as information about artist demos and workshops taking place during the exhibition. https://www.mallgalleries.org.uk/whats-on/exhibitions/royal-society-marine-artists-annual-exhibition-2017 With Karl Terry and Rod Major at the preview day yesterday! Do let me know what you think if you visit :-)SaveSaveSaveSave

Edited
by haidee-jos

Well done Haidee-jos, I will go and take a look on line.
Thanks Margaret! Hope you like it :-)
Have visited a few times in the past and always found it interesting and inspiring. Unfortunately won't make it this year as I head to Venice on Monday.
Ooh how lovely Peter, I have some friends painting in Venice next week so perhaps you will see them! Karl Terry, David Bachmann etc! I think this is the nicest time of year for Venice.
Many thanks for bring this to our attention Haidee-Jo. We out in the sticks (Devon) do not always get a chance to see such work. There are some lovely painting there. I couldn't help but notice that the ones that are sold are not particularly the best ones and tend to be a bit gimmicky.
There's quite a wide divergence between prices - I wonder why, in some cases; nothing is what I'd describe even remotely as cheap, but there are one or two works reaching the £2,000 mark which, although impressive, don't seem to really justify the price-tag. But there we are - this is probably jealousy, since those of us who don't or can't get into big shows like this can't command these sorts of prices; well, the lower ones maybe.... now and then .... in a blue moon or pig's eye.....