Size matters!

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
I know this has been discussed previously but thought I would bring it up again. I really wish people would give the size of their paintings and the medium when posting on the Gallery. I like to imagine the painting in it's entirety. Is it small? Is it large? I think knowing the size gives a good idea regarding how much work has gone into the painting. I know that sometimes small is more difficult to paint than large but I would still like to know! Perhaps POL could put a box where artists could put the measurements and medium at the point where the painting is uploaded at the same time as putting the title in which would be great. Also, sometimes I can't tell the difference between acrylic and oil and even digital at times from a photo so a box for the medium would make things so much easier. What do others think? I'd like to hear your thoughts on this.
I absolutely agree Margaret, it is so simple to give the viewer a bit of information about their work but on many postings we get absolutely nothing!. For me, one of the most important detail is the medium, particularly now that we are seeing many more digital works being presented without acknowledgement.
Agree with that, and I've made the point before indeed - please give us the dimensions and medium: the trouble is that people can fill in a quite lengthy list of questions when posting, which is OK from an admin point of view because it enables the site to identify, e.g., which of the recent posts are watercolour, which acrylic etc. But it doesn't show up on the actual post - so if you can just put that information in the description (and I know I've occasionally forgotten to, but some never do it) it would be so much more helpful than our having to guess at the scale.
I agree with all that has been said, I feel sometimes that if they can't be bothered to give any information. do they want any feedback? I know that sounds harsh, but I don't often give feedback if there is no information. even if you ask the question- answers are very few and far between.
It's something I have adopted in my latest paintings I have put on the Gallery Margaret and I have "insisted" Chas puts the info on too! Now I will have to go and check that he has!!
Yes, yes, yes! Please! I really am interested in knowing the size and medium, and some details about what led the artist to paint it. I'll try to remember too, I think I usually put the medium but don't think I've always put the size. Lucy, I think ticking the boxes allows people to search the site for paintings in a specific medium, style etc if there is a medium or style you're particularly interested in. If I'm wrong about this doubtless someone more knowledgeable will say.
I see a posting in the gallery this morning with absolutely no information at all, not even name of artist let alone any information on size etc.
This highlight's the issues that we have been discussing, Four paintings, one of them a photograph and not one iota of information, not even a name. If they can't be bothered to make an effort then why should I.

Edited
by alanbickley

posted Ivy a few minutes ago I think I have given all info required and ask for critique HEHEHE LOL
I was very tempted to put something "naughty" as critique Tao, but couldn't do it as I love your work so much.
One day you may put on a "pile of doggy dos" Tao and I will definitely share my thoughts - but it is not likely to happen is it?
I see what you mean now Tao, I think I might have misunderstood your previous email. Unfortunately I am totally unfamiliar with Apple devices and how they should work, never having used one. I suspect that your laptop pro is much more advanced than my PC, too. I'm sorry about this, I did hope I could help, but it looks as if I can't. It sounds as if you are doing the right thing, so I think you might be correct about the problem being with the site, especially if they work on other sites. Really sorry I can't be more help. I'm catching up a bit with the 21st century too!