sennilier egg tempera

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
This post has been removed as it violates our forum rules and guidelines.

I don't paint in tempera - rather few people do, which is probably a pity because tempera paintings last well: we're just too lazy to mix them with egg yolk I suppose.... I know I am. (I don't know if the Sennelier paint is pre-mixed or if you have to mix it with egg - I remember Daler Rowney made a form of egg tempera which I think could be used from the tube.) But from what I do know - yes to a rigid support. I can't see why an acrylic 'gesso' would be a problem, but take a look at the big art materials websites (eg Jackson's, probably the biggest in the sense of having the widest range) and see if they recommend alternatives. Whatever you use, it should be of the best quality you can lay hands on. And you'd want it to be smooth - tempera responds best to a dead flat, white surface. But if I went any further I'd be giving advice at second or third hand, so I should have a good look online, and ensure your books from the library are reasonably up to date. Do we HAVE any painters in tempera on POL, I wonder?

Reported