Fugitive fluorescent paint! - what to do??

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Hello! New to this very useful online group and pleased to have found it! I use fluorescent pigment in some of my work and although I haven' had much problem with fading yet, i know this is in the future! So far my googling efforts have yielded very little in the way of a solution to this problem. The best thing I've heard of so far seems to be a varnish which contains ultra violet light stabilizers of which Liquitex Soluvar® Gloss Varnish is an example. Does anyone out there use fluorescent and have any ideas r know of superior brands? Thanks very much!
Frankly I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole. It's highly toxic and the reason for many deaths in the forties and fifties.
I don't think that fluorescent paint is radioactive these days, as it was in the 40's, Sylvia. - not sure about the normal toxicity though.
Fluorescent paint isn't lightfast in any medium, so far as I know, and I never use it - but there are some acrylic colours that are interesting to research: take a look at the Golden paints: in fact, look at all the acrylic manufacturers: I wouldn't have any faith in any fluorescent, but there are different effects that can be obtained which might give you scope for your imagination and extend your work. I don't think the fluorescents are hazardous now - you'd hope they weren't, given modern safety regulations. But a paint that fades in a couple of years is of no use to me - bad enough that I'm fading myself..... but then, that applies to all of us except Syd.
Syd, you're more alive than many of us, and long may you continue to be.