Elderly? Housebound? Where do you get inspiration?

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 1 of 2
<div> At 84 years of age I am presently both of these. ( Please don't say "Ahh!....poor old thing...") because I'm Fine. I work mainly from memory and imagination. I love painting my Quirkies, but at the same time have a great Yen to paint acrylic landscapes in a painterly fashion. But ...More Quirkies to come...Watch this space!!! In my search for inspiration I find absorbing art entertainment and instruction in watching You Tube demos; they brighten my life and inspire me to paint with freedom. Especially I watch Schaeffer Art programmes. ( No, I am not paid to promote them) But they ARE inspiring! Are you an ageing painting enthusiast? Are you computer literate and able to access POL? (Government .......please do something to promote Computer literacy among the ageing population, which is increasing year by year,) </div>
I'm not 80 yet - come to that, I'm not 70 yet - but I do identify with this. I have the old person's disease of osteo-arthritis, thanks to a car smash many years ago which broke my back. I can get to places with a sketch-book, but it's such a perishing nuisance to carry things, or to bend to pick things up, that on the whole I just go out, sketch, photograph, and come back home where I can sit down and take a rest every ten minutes. I can manage a computer though! I don't know what the Schaeffer art programme is - give us more of a clue, Ruth? I know there's a fine young American artist named Brandon Schaeffer, but I doubt he's whom you mean? Tell us more - the more elderly and disabled painters need all the help we can get. http://www.isleofwightlandscapes.net http://www.wightpaint.blogspot.co.uk
I am elderly 90 but not housebound . my wife and i go out for coffee ,cakes and shopping twice weekly. I work mainly from imagination but sometimes inspired by pictures in the LP magazine vey loosely and from my own photos. I never know what the fnished picture will look like but i have the germ of an idea in my head and the best of a few thumbnail sketches as a guide. I do the composition using the rule of thirds and the focal point. I would add that the POL gallery paintings sometimes produce ideas that inspire me to do something similar just as artists of old have borrowed ideas from other artists. i am a complete technophobe as far as computers go. I bought a laptop from one of my grandsons to help him out but using the damn thing was a misery so it is in a cupboard getting dusty and i bought an Ipad which my son in law set up for me and it is great to use by comparison. i now have the latest one , i believe , and i passed on my old one to my wife who uses it to chat with my daughter by email all the time. Well that is my life story, at the moment , so Ruth go on and paint acrylic landscapes , you can paint over your mistakes , not like watercolour and a lot easier , the ony difficult thing are the first strokes of paint. kind regards ...Syd
Robert., Hello. Yes, the very same Brandon Shaeffer...I love to watch him painting, he is very relaxed and gives such good advice on acrylic painting. Cheers, Ruth
Syd, Hello, I am so glad you are well and able to paint/sketch outdoors in situ, that is wonderful, I would like that. I hope I am still here and active when (IF) I reach my nineties. Well done. I lost my husband 16 years ago to cancer , and I live alone, but every single day is a learning curve still. I find my computer is a great way to stay in touch, and my life is so much richer for having it.
Hi Ruth , I don't know if it's for you but I love the paint my photo site it's very inspiring people post up photos and artists are free to paint from them there are some splendid artists on site and thousands of really good photos in every category .... https://pmp-art.com
Hello Ruth, yes I agree with Dermot and I've checked out 'Paint my Photo' site and it's great. All photos are copyright free so no-one is going to sue you for using their work! I do all my painting from photographs because I can do a small bit at a time instead of having to rush. My favourite things to paint are flowers which when painting from life can drop very quickly so I find a photo the best thing, whether I take them myself from the garden or somewhere else. I'm still on a huge learning curve and so take rather a long time to produce a painting! I know you will find inspiration.
Ruth I always had the impression you were in your twenties , I love to doodle ./I like drawing funny faces of politicians .,,Donald duck ,Micky mouse ,and my favourite was the Road Runner. oh and bugs bunny ,

Edited
by alanowen

Thanks all of you for the replies and the advice. I am looking at paint my photo, and the POL site too. Alan...... In my 20's ??!! Although I am not sure I would want to be there now.....in this day and age. When I was in my twenties, the health and welfare needs of human beings were on the rise, yet my dad said then he didn't know what the world was coming to! But there was hope on the horizon then, and there has to be hope now I think. There are some lovely people in the world, a lot of them on POL, so thank you all for being there.
Must add, RJ is looking damn good for ony 68! I've never used Paint my Photo, having enough stuff to bid me to paint, but if stumped I often go into Wet Canvas site for their ref material. I didn't know of the POL archive either, so thanks Syd.
I had a look at Paint My Photo site a little while ago and got a bit confused, though I hasten to add that might be down to me. I like Pixaby for photos and of course, as Syd says there are lovely photos on POL. Never heard of Shaeffer, but will take a look - sounds interesting.
Good point Robert, The lovely Tanglefoot and her subsidence
Showing page 1 of 2