Give your brush a rest

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
You know how your brush tries to roll to the floor or your clothing when you lay it down full of paint on the bench ,....well heres the brush rest i made myself to stoppit! Take bits of wood. One at 50x16x75mm long and six bits of 6mm squarex50mm long Now glue with wood glue the 6mm square bits to the,big block flush at each end and the other four equally spaced along the block. You should now have a gadget like a comb with short square teeth looked at in side profile.Its a brush rest where you can place your brush with paint on it or just washed and there to dry. Talk about describing a spiral staircase.! Couldve done a drawing but i cant put pics. on my posting somehow but that is history by now .....Syd
Just use chop stck holders. Says she who still has her brush leaping of the table covering , me , the dog and the floor on the messy stuff.
I have ceramic chop stick rest, but it adds to the weight when I am going to class, so don't take it with me. I then lay my brushes that I am using to rest on the mixing lids of my palette so they don't roll off onto the floor. I live in dread of losing my good watercolour brushes.
Only just read this Syd, I think the wooden one is a great idea. Going to try it.
If you use short handled brushes? A plastic 27 x 13 cm supermarket meat tray [after washing it out etc.] makes an ideal brush or pencil tray...lined with some kitchen paper...
I know this is an old post but thought I would mention how I make brush holders from the black/grey styrofoam that is used to pack around the ends/sides of computers, monitors or televisions. I cut a length of about 12 inches and cut various size grooves in the top. Easy peasy, quick to make and no cost... and as the sections are about 4 inches wide they are very stable and will hold a large number of brushes of all sizes safely. If any one wants a picture I will get one.
Photos always welcome - I use a bit of plastic window moulding to hold mine: it's not ideal, but it stops them rolling about. Syd Edward has a home-made device too,which I think was on the Watercolour page. And of course there are all sorts of devices you can pay good money for - but doubtless we'd rather spend our money on good paint and good brushes. The only snag with your device is a personal one - I loathe the feel of styrofoam: I'm not even keen on the feel of sponges, or nylon.. Lord knows when and how that phobia started: worst of all is that grey foam you can also find wrapped around computer parts - I pick it up with tongs if I possibly can. But I admit I'm weird like that. http://www.isleofwightlandscapes.net http://www.wightpaint.blogspot.co.uk
Clever idea with the Styrofoam but don't you find it's a bit lightweight? I'm imagining that one knock of a brush and it would tip up.