Broadcasting live on 13 December 2023 11:00
Mixed-media portrait with Liz Chaderton
Join Liz Chaderton for a live painting webinar, where she will demonstrate how to create a mixed-media portrait using line-and-wash and pastels.
*Example image to show style - final reference image will differ
Wednesday 13 December at 11am (GMT)
The techniques for painting faces in watercolour and the skills to capture a likeness are not the same – both important, but certainly different. So in this series of webinars we are concentrating on watercolour techniques and using transfer methods to get the likeness on to paper. The aim of this series of webinars is to be contemporary and joyful. These are not portraits to hang in museums but will help the artist capture the faces and character of family and friends or people they encounter every day. Each webinar stands on its own, but they do complement each other. Some experience of watercolour is assumed.
Line-and-wash is already mixed-media, although it is so accepted we do not tend to think of it as such. In this webinar we will add to our line and wash portrait by working on a toned paper and adding pastel to regain highlights and bring further interest.
In this webinar, you will learn...
- The role of line and watercolour in a pen and wash piece
- Order of working
- What to leave out, what to put in
- How to substitute colours to create mood
- How to tone paper and considerations for working on this surface
- Use of pastel pencils to add direction, tone and hue
- How to create lively pen work
- How to stop too soon rather than too late
- The webinar will take place on Zoom and will last for approximately 1 hour including a Q&A session (these are approximate timings and may vary slightly).
- Once you have registered for the webinar, you'll receive an email confirmation containing your link to join the webinar on the day, plus Liz's suggested materials list and reference photograph for the session.
- During the webinar, you'll have the opportunity to submit your questions and chat with fellow attendees using the Q&A and 'chat' buttons at the bottom of your screen.
- The webinar will be recorded and will be made available to all registered attendees the day after the live session, for one month following the live webinar.
If you're not sure how to join one of our Zoom webinars, or if you've not used Zoom before, check out our handy how-to guide.
About Liz Chaderton
Liz Chaderton is a full time artist based in Berkshire. Her fifth book, Painting Portraits in Watercolour, is being published in October by The Crowood Press. You can find more of her work on her website.
Want to hear more from us? Sign up for our emails for the latest webinar announcements, updates, special offers, exclusive painting competitions and more!