Broadcasting live on 17 January 2024 11:00
Layered portrait with Liz Chaderton
In this webinar with Liz Chaderton, explore how to create a layered portrait by working in layers on top of a cool underpainting.
*Example image to show style - final reference image will differ
Wednesday 17 January 2024 at 11am (GMT)
The aim of this series of webinars is to be contemporary and joyful. These are not portraits to hang in museums but will help the artist capture the faces and character of family and friends or people they encounter every day. Each webinar stands on its own, but they do complement each other. Some experience of watercolour is assumed.
An underpainting sets the overall mood of a piece and glints through the layers placed on top of it. In this webinar we will explore working in layers on top of a cool underpainting. This technique is similar to that used in oil painting called a grisaille. While you can use any cool colour to start, I find that blue and purple work particularly well. It is important to use transparent, staining colours at the beginning of this process and I will explain why during the webinar.
In this webinar, you will learn...
- How to glaze and layer colours
- Colour mixing and theory
- Staining vs non staining colours
- Cool vs warm colours
- Paint properties and how to exploit them
- The webinar will take place on Zoom and will last for approximately 1 hour including a Q&A session (these are approximate timings and may vary slightly).
- Once you have registered for the webinar, you'll receive an email confirmation containing your link to join the webinar on the day, plus Liz's suggested materials list and reference photograph for the session.
- During the webinar, you'll have the opportunity to submit your questions and chat with fellow attendees using the Q&A and 'chat' buttons at the bottom of your screen.
- The webinar will be recorded and will be made available to all registered attendees the day after the live session, for one month following the live webinar.
If you're not sure how to join one of our Zoom webinars, or if you've not used Zoom before, check out our handy how-to guide.
About Liz Chaderton
Liz Chaderton is a full time artist based in Berkshire. Her fifth book, Painting Portraits in Watercolour, is being published in October by The Crowood Press. You can find more of her work on her website.
Want to hear more from us? Sign up for our emails for the latest webinar announcements, updates, special offers, exclusive painting competitions and more!