The Artist December 2023
Issue MediaHang on Studio Wall
Issue Meta Data
Be inspired by prize winners in this year's TALP Open and much more.
On Sale: 20/10/2023
See the latest subscription offers!
Ensure you never miss an issue of your favourite magazine and secure the lowest price with one of our great value subscription offers.
What's in this Issue?
- The Artist Open Art Competition 2023 - presenting the prize-winning works in this year's competition
- Caroline Saunders talks to Tom Marsh about his love of painting outdoors alla prima
- Mike Barr warns agianst flattery
- Sarah Edmonds offers advice on working on commissions
Practical painting and drawing:
- In the final article in his series on loosening up with watercolour, Tom Shepherd focuses on edges
Jenny Aitken shows how to paint glistening snow scenes in acrylic
- Richard Suckling demonstrates why limiting your palette of soft pastel colours will give you maximum impact
- Carole Robson uses found natural objects and discarded materials with mixed-media to create works of art with
- Paul Talbot-Greaves explains how painting with oils alla prima helps to bring soft focus to his landscapes
- Steve Griggs shows you why photo references are just the start of your painting journey
- Explore the properties of watercolour brushes with Amanda Hyatt as she demonstrates a floral watercolour
- Practise tonal foundations as John Hoar shows how to paint buildings in sepia
- Paul Bailey shows you how to make the most of your acrylics by pushing them to their limits
- Limit your palette to suit the scene with top advice from James Willis
- Adele Wagstaff encourages us to learn to identify surface landmarks and anatomy
- The Art World
- Your views
- Book reviews
- This month's PaintersOnline Editor's Choice