Wales Contemporary opens in Milford Haven
Wales Contemporary, the 1st international exhibition dedicated to Wales , is coming to Milford Haven!
Wales Contemporary / Cymru Gyfoes is an international open competition for 2D and 3D artworks inspired by the country’s people, landscape, art history, traditions, and contemporary culture. Developed by the Waterfront Gallery in association with the Welsh Government, the exhibition celebrates everything Welsh by gathering paintings, drawings, sculptures, crafts and more.
Over 1,150 submissions were sent in by 600 artists living across the United Kingdom and Europe but also stemming from countries as diverse as Australia, Canada, Chile, China, Japan, Russia and the United States. All of the entries were considered by a prestigious panel of judges: artist Basil Beattie RA, painter and emeritus professor Gerda Roper, and sculptor Sebastien Boyesen, who selected a little over 150 pieces for the exhibition.
The shortlisted artworks will be available to see at the Waterfront Gallery, Milford Haven, from Thursday 12 November to Wednesday 30 December 2020 and at the G[email protected], London, from Thursday 25 February to Sunday 7 March 2021
Now in its second year, Wales Contemporary / Cymru Gyfoes has established a strong reputation for championing art about Wales and from Wales. In fact, the international competition has been described by artists and visitors as 'a fantastic opportunity', 'a signal of the wealth of creativity in the country' and 'a celebration of Wales’ land and culture in art.'
The 2020 exhibition brings together original, diverse, and often unexpected expressions of what makes Wales Welsh. It offers a panorama of the country’s landscapes, including photorealistic depictions and impressionistic evocations, from its snowy mountain tops to its valley villages, from its mining communities to its industrial cities, from its green farmlands to its picturesque coasts.
The following prizes will be awarded:
- Wales Contemporary Prize – Overall winner – £4,000
- 2-Dimensional 1st Prize – £2,000
- 2-Dimensional 2nd Prize – £500
- 3-Dimensional 1st Prize – £2,000
- 3-Dimensional 2nd Prize – £500
- Young Artist Prize (25 and under) – £1,000
- Prize for artists born, educated or resident in Wales – £1,500
- Public choice – £1,500
- Thursday, 12 November 2020: opening and private view at the Waterfront Gallery, Milford Haven, by invitation only
- Friday, 13 November 2020: exhibition opens to the public at the Waterfront Gallery
- Sunday, 15 November 2020: artists opening at the Waterfront Gallery, by reservation only
- Wednesday, 30 December 2020: exhibition closes at the Waterfront Gallery
- Thursday, 25 February 2021: exhibition opens at the [email protected], London
- Sunday 7 March 2021: exhibition closes at the [email protected]
Above right is Socially Distanced Dreams of Crossing the Border by Ben Ark