The Football Art Prize
A brand-new call for entries is now open!
The Football Art Prize is a brand-new exhibition opportunity celebrating art and football, and giving artists from around the world the chance to…
- Show their work to a prestigious panel of judges, including artists, curators and football players,
- Exhibit on a tour to three venues, Touchstones Rochdale, Sheffield’s Millennium Gallery and Sunderland Museum and Winter Gardens.
- Win £10,000 in cash and purchase prizes – with more awards to be announced shortly.
With generous support from Arts Council England, Touchstones Rochdale have created The Football Art Prize to coincide with the 2022 World Cup.
Artists and football fans from around the world are encouraged to take part by submitting artworks in all two-dimensional mediums, including painting, drawing, digital art, collage, mixed media, textile, photography and moving image. Creatives working in a variety of styles and techniques have until Friday 19 November 2021, 5pm, to enter online.
Selected artists will showcase their work in an exhibition opening at Touchstones Rochdale in March 2022 and touring to Sheffield’s Millennium Gallery and Sunderland Museum and Winter Gardens. There will also be a virtual gallery and a fully illustrated print catalogue showcasing the shortlisted works.
Awards totalling £10,000 will be given out to the winners in a Prize Giving ceremony at the start of the exhibition:
- First Prize: £5,000
- Second Prize: £3,000
- Third Prize: £2,000
The exhibition will open at Touchstones Rochdale with a Private View and Prize Giving on Friday 11 March. It will be open to the public from Saturday 12 March to 26 June 2022. The show will then tour to the Millennium Gallery, Sheffield, from July 2022, and to Sunderland Museum & Winter Gardens from November 2022.
Alongside the exhibition there will be a virtual gallery showcasing all the artists’ shortlisted works. All exhibiting artists will be included in a fully illustrated print catalogue. Awards will be given out to the winners in a prize giving at the start of the exhibition.
The shortlist will be selected by a judging panel including:
- David James - Footballer
- Jo Cunningham - Curator at Sunderland Museum & Winter Gardens
- Kirstie Hamilton - Director of Programmes at Sheffield Museums
- Mark Doyle - Art Gallery Curator and Collections Manager at Touchstones Rochdale
- Mark Wallinger - Artist
- Sacha Craddock - Writer, critic and broadcaster
All of the submitted works will be considered by the selectors. Artists may submit up to four works at £10 for the first entry and £5 for each additional entry. Artists entering from a Rochdale, Sheffield or Sunderland postcode will have a reduced fee of £7.50 for the first entry.
For more information and to enter, visit the website.