woodland pool

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Hallo, This is my first attempt at a less photographic and looser style, following  peoples previous helpful comments on "Blythburgh church". I look forward to your comments ! John Turner.
Ummm..... where izzit?  Have you neglected to load the picture, or is my computer playing tricks?
Ummm..... where izzit?  Have you neglected to load the picture, or is my computer playing tricks?
As it seems to be, given a duplicate post....
I've seen it on the Gallery now. Like the drawing of the trees, but think the colour could be stronger and the tonal contrast greater - i.e. some strong colour in the foreground - "strong" = darker, lighter, cleaner colour.  Don't worry about "loose/tight" - you'll get to your preferred stage of detail as you paint on and gain experience; just get down what you see in front of you - let your eyes do your thinking as independently as they can of your brain: eg, see a strong green, paint a strong green.  Doesn't matter if the results are crude to start with, you'll refine those as you progress.    Good composition, good drawing, just needs a touch more "oomph".  Possibly, a higher grade of oil paint would help: some of the cheaper ranges are horribly under-pigmented.
The left bank and two trees need to be considerably darker. A few more variations of green in places, it is, as Robert has alluded to, tonally all a bit flat. But that’s easily rectified, so good news on that score! An important detail, the reflections of those same two trees aren’t quite correct, refer back to your photo. - technical detail is important! It’s the angle and other issues.   I would lighten the patch of water in the centre.  Perhaps an off white/grey colour, this would give a lighter tone and appear to be a reflection from the sky. However, a good effort nonetheless, a looser style is working well on this subject.

Edited
by Alan Bickley

Many thanks!
Share this on https://artdesign.social/news-feed/ !