Have I got the perspective right?

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 1 of 2
Hi all.   I'm in the process of starting a painting of a large garage/workshop and have roughed out an initial 24" x 11" drawing on tracing paper (hence the rather poor quality of photo). The intention is to expand it to over 36" using the grid system allowing me to incorporate a lot of detail.   The drawing is an amalgam of 3 photos taken at different points and areas, so perspective became difficult.   Before I continue on what will be quite an involved and time consuming project, i would appreciate any comments on the perspective I've produced.  Fresh eyes might pick up on areas where I have gone wrong!  Thanks in advance.
Within the bounds of what I can see, it looks fine as a starting point. I generally start by indicating the eye level and my perspective lines radiating from that. I can’t see an eye level as such but it does look like a promising start - good luck with it!
As you are working on tracing paper you could put in your eye level and vanishing point.  All your rafters and shelves should radiate from there.  Don’t be afraid of using a ruler.
Thanks Alan and Linda.  It seems my perspective needs a bit of tweeking!   This was a particularly difficult drawing as I have tried to bring 3 photos together, all with different vanishing points, getting the relative sizes correct as the photos were taken from different points and with different zooms.  I'll look again at the original photos as they were all be taken at the same height so should all have the same eye level.  As Linda says, done in pencil on tracing paper so I could try a few test adjustments.  Back to the drawing board!
The perspective is right. I wonder though if the picture might end up with lots of conflicting objects trying to catch our attention. I think that's the drawback of working from a combination of different photos.
Thanks.  I have adjusted a few lines such as roof struts on the final full size drawing and I think it looks an bit better.  With my automotive paintings I usually keep the background simple but for this one I wanted to include all the usual paraphernalia of a working garage. So the more in it the better and perhaps be one of those paintings when something new is seen every time its looked at! 
Be good to see this develop 
Be good to see this develop 
Tim Warner on 05/10/2020 10:21:15
Thanks for asking, here is the current stage of it. Sorry about poor quality photo.  Currently blocking in the main colours in acrylic.  This one is going to take a lot of time and inbetween others so progress likely to be slow!
I think you perspective lines are a lot better.  With the vanishing point in the middle a balance is achieved.
Probably more appropriate to WIP but continuing on from previous entries, for anyone interested  here's the current stage of this large 36" x 16" acrylic effort of mine!
This is looking so good, so much to see.
Perspective looks right and that is pulling it together.  It will be interesting to see it develop.
Showing page 1 of 2