Fairy Glen Skye

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Hi all, I would love any feedback on this piece. It’s a little different for me and I think there are some successful elements and not so successful elements, but not sure if it works as a whole.
Hi Caroline.  I do find your use of red quite disturbing unless your intention is to become a surrealist.   You live in an amazing part of the world and I can see in the soft colours in the background you know how it really is.  Hence my comment, or am I missing something ? And this area is full of flowers? .

Edited
by Sylvia Evans

I have just googled your subject out of curiosity... the rd that disturbs  e isn’t really red in the picture.  It looks more like Bracken ,Heather and Ling and should be soft reddish browns.  Have a look at colour mixing and check your colours.  If I lived where you do I think I would be painting the view from my kitchen window and throw away the tourist pic. 
Hi Sylvia,  Thank you so much for the feedback.  Indeed the painting is quite a departure from the area in reality.  I have been there a few times and always remembered the heavy dense greenery but I came across a tourist photograph online which had clearly been colour enhanced and changed to make this area look different. I think that is what I was trying to capture, the background as is and then this fantastical reimagining of the foreground but I’m not sure if it’s too jarring.  I was a bit nervous of the red but I was trying to convey the same feeling I experienced when I came across the picture of the area with the same vivid red in the foreground.  I don’t know if maybe I have just tried to do too much with one painting, or overthought it. 
There’s some really good passages of work going on here! Sort out the red and you’ll be fine. I won’t be climbing up to the top of that mount any time soon!
Some photo never look good as a painting, they are excellent photos and as you know have been adapted. The painting apart from what looks like a lava flow is fine,  as said tone down the reds a least . 
Very interesting and certainly makes it look like a place to put on the bucket list.  I see two people have made it to the top of the hill!  I just find the red a bit too much in that it doesn't look as if it is receding into the distance, the colour is the same all the way out and the brush marks the same size throughout, whereas the red should lose it brightness as it goes away from the front and the brush strokes be smaller receding.

Edited
by Steve Andrews

Agree with the others - the mount itself is well painted, but that red isn't telling me anything - i.e. what it is.  If it's oil or acrylic, you can glaze over it with a darker colour, but it will need a feature or two, because the other parts of the foreground are dark and not very interesting.  I would keep that whole area simple and allow the mount to take the key role in the spotlights. 
Thank you all for the great feedback.  I did struggle with the red and to be honest the entire bottom half of the canvas, and should have reevaluated at the time but continued on. I do love the top half of the canvas and am particularly pleased with my little tree so I have made the decision to remove from the canvas and cut down, and then frame the work instead.  Thank you all for your time to review and feedback, it’s very much appreciated. Caroline x 
Share this on https://artdesign.social/news-feed/ !