Any suggestions?

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 2 of 2
It has a more intense look, and I feel, brings the focus where it belongs, onto your wonderful cars.
It looks better in my opinion, the ceiling look time weathered and fits in with the scene better. As CJ saint the focus is on the cars.
I have been following this thread thinking what is the problem with the ceiling?  But, I have to say, making it darker has really transformed the image and, as Mr Jones and Mr Dean have noted, really puts the focus where it should be, on the cars
Thanks for taking the time to let me know your thoughts.  I'm pleased you think that it looks better and focuses on the cars.  Didn't originally look too bad at small screen size but wasn't very good looking at the actual full sized painting.  Now the actual painting looks much better and more like the sharper screen view.  When I now compare the two images I'm very happy that I darkened the ceiling as although the lighter image was more realistic to my photo, the darker ceiling looks so much better! I can now get on and continue with the other parts, particularly cars.  Just goes to show that this forum is very useful and pleased I asked the question.

Edited
by Steve Andrews

Total transformation Andrew, as mentioned above. Gives the painting so much more depth.
:)

Edited
by Carol .

Total transformation Steve, as mentioned above. Gives the painting so much more depth.

Edited
by Anthony Knight

The darker ceiling is much better.  It sets off the flags and the plane.  I would like to see some darker reflections in the yellow car too, it currently does not look as real as the others.  There must be a reflection of the red car for instance on the yellow one and on the white one.

Edited
by Linda Wilson

Thanks Linda.  You are correct in that red is reflected in the bumper of the yellow car (which really should be a more gold/bronze colour that I'm still working to achieve).  Although the painting looks almost finished on screen, there is actually quite a bit more to do to it and it may be some time before I call it completed!
Very good to see the forum being helpful and doing what it does best - particularly pleasing when the advice actually does help, and is appreciated.  Along with the others (and yourself) I think this is looking much better now; it's always worth looking at others' more technical paintings, to see how they've managed lines, structures, technical details.  There are Impressionist paintings (I know this isn't really your thing) of the Gare St Lazare; there are wartime paintings, eg by Terence Cuneo; John Piper's drawings and paintings can be useful; I think you'll find that most painters who have tackled similar themes, though not all, have gone for the sketchier approach, hinting at detail, touching on it in places but not doing the full technical drawing approach. If you were to do this again - courage!  I imagine once will be enough.. - I'd draw it out carefully first, then add the paint.  If, that is, you wanted a more exact rendering.  But this is why I like trees - they don't obey geometric rules - they have shapes, of course, and balance, and form - but anything that avoids my having to draw a fine line will always get my enthusiastic vote. 
Robert.  Thanks for that.  I do find the forum useful and wish I had more time to spend on it and the gallery.  I would like to paint in a more loose way, a bit more painterly, but find that with the cars and their surroundings I keep ending up doing them more like a technical drawing as cars in particular have to have round wheels, straight and specific curved lines etc otherwise they just don't look right.  And as you say, the fine lines are a real pain.  I have always liked John Piper's paintings of Blenheim Palace (which is nearby to me) and their style so I know what you mean and wish I could paint like him. I have seen paintings of cars where all the basic outlines are correct but they somehow don't stick rigidly to smooth paintwork and show impressions of various aspects rather than exact realism etc.  That's the way I would really like to paint (if all I'm trying to do is copy parts of a photo exactly then I might as well just use an edited photo) but its more difficult than it looks and I haven't mastered it yet but there is still time!
Showing page 2 of 2