WIP self challenge

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
After painting a couple in my comfort zone I was determined to try and challenge myself. This is my granddaughter with her puppy. The challenge is to get the likeness. I started the painting on a piece of dark green mountboard, the idea being to paint a " better" one on canvas. I still mean to do that. Two stages below, the background of the second one isn't true but you can get the idea from the first. I'm pleased so far.
Looks good to me.  No idea about the likeness though.
Looks good to me too, Marjorie. The progression is plain to see and it's definitely moving in the right direction. Are you going to play with some shadows and will you be strengthening the tones? I wondered about a mild chiaroscuro presentation, for emphasis and atmosphere. Just thinkin'. Bri
I think the way you have portrayed your granddaughter, looking so lovingly at the pup is really special.
Thanks for the input. Yes, background is next - they are in garden so won't do too much chiaroscuro but will work on the tones. As I said, it's just on card, which has it's own difficulties( didn't seal it because it was only ever intended as a try out). More work on it later today.
Absolutely love this work, looking forward to its completion.  Perfect expression on the young woman's face.