What’s on the board today...

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
KlGood morning, I thought today I would go for the pears. I started with a rough drawing and then I slopped some thinned oil over the top. Thought I’d get started early as I need to crack on with the flags as the weather is supposed to be good this morning. So I will return to this later in the day Ok Ive laid a few flags but inevitably i'm drawn back to painting its a bit of an obsession. These are the colours I've chosen initially but other would choose different i'm sure. I bought a large tin of Pebeo Titanium white and put a little in a pot I found this book and its really excellent as a colour reference,  Windsor Blue, I found in some paints my mum gave me, once I'd managed to dissolve the years of dried paint on the lid, I've found it a solid blue for green tones, again there are a miriad of others that would do equally or probably better I don't know why some of the picture rotate but hey ho Ok all shapes blocked out, the pears are too green they will need warming up, and the background has a lot more purples to be added too. anyway I'm getting that look from the missus so back to the flags ... Like the flagging it’s making progress slowly I’ve just finished it for now, like most paintings they are never finished until you sell them and sometimes not even then. I’ll put a saw through to split them later on There was a little bit of the board left so I added a quick painting from my imagination.

Edited
by Justin Twigg

Good start Justin...get those flags sorted, it’s clouded over here .
Winsor Blue is what Winsor and Newton call Pthalo Blue: it's a good mixer with strong yellows for vibrant greens - a gentler blue would be Cerulean Blue (Hue), or genuine Cerulean - the genuine paint is unfortunately very expensive - but I do bite down on something firm and buy it when I have to.  Cobalt Blue will also give you spring green, with a bit of Lemon Yellow; Ultramarine is best kept for the darker, even muddier, greens (because it leans towards red, which the others don't - so makes good purples).   That's a Walter Foster book you've got there, isn't it?  Haven't seen his titles (he's joined the great studio in the sky now, but his company still exists) for a long time.  Is it an old book, or new?  I found his books very helpful when first starting out, because he got individual artists to write and illustrate them, and rather good ones, too.  
Yes Robert I have pthalo blue, cobalt and cerulean, and use them all, They are dearer but the colour is more intense and you don't need much to get the job done. The French ultramarine is as you say a red shade of blue which is great for purples and I believe you can also get Red shade Winsor blue as well. There are two blues I don't have Yves Kleins 'international Klein blue' and a recent blue called 'Yinmn blue' which you can now buy but are massively expensive and possibly I think more of a gimmick. Another blue I do use is prussian blue which I believe was the first synthetic blue discovered in the 1700's by someone trying to make a red pigment. Anyway with the 5 colours in the photo, red and green shade blues and yellows and a good red, you can pretty much make every colour out there. Which is why I bought the book about two or three years ago specifically for use with oils and acrylics, when I use my inks and pencil crayons I tend to mix and blend the colour on the surface by letting them merge or overlap. It's a great reference book to use just to remind myself sometimes and to hold a brush against to try to get a more accurate colour match.